As part of your online application, you will be asked to submit a recording with the following repertoire. No preference is given to audio or video recordings, however the audio quality must be high in either file type.
Genre requirements: Include at least one art song and one operatic aria.
Language requirements: Three languages; one must be English.
Style requirements: One selection must be written in a more modern idiom. (Many works written after 1950 would fall into this category, although works by Stravinsky or Schoenberg, for example, would also be suitable.)
Although Slate does support media files as large as 2 GB, please be advised that larger files will take longer to upload from your Internet connection and may stall if you are on a wireless connection or one that cannot sustain a connection for the necessary period of time. Uploaded documents may contain no more than 75 pages.
File Sizes and Types
- Video: .avi, .flv, .m1v, .m2v, .m4v, .mkv, .mov, .mpeg, .mpg, .mp4, .wmv
- Audio: .aac, .aif, .aiff, .iff, .fla, .m4a, .mpa, .mp3, .ra, .wav, .wma
Auditions are by invitation only, and shortlisted applicants will receive an invitation to audition in mid-December. Auditions take place in-person at Bard College Conservatory of Music in Annandale-on-Hudson, NY.
2024 Final Audition Dates
International applicants are strongly encouraged to audition in person if at all possible. However, if they are unable to travel to the United States for final auditions, they may send a video audition. Applicants should use the live audition repertoire requirements for their video. Special arrangements for submission of this video should be made with the director of admissions at [email protected].
- Friday, March 8
- Saturday, March 9
- Genre requirements: Include three art songs and two arias (one may be from an oratorio).
- Language requirements: Three languages; one must be English, and one should be in the singer’s native language (if the singer is not a native English speaker).
- Style requirements: The repertoire presented should be in a variety of time periods and styles, tempos, mood, and character. One piece must be written in a contemporary idiom (see prescreening guidelines for clarification).
Example audition offerings by singers whose native language is English.
Package One Arias:
- Cipullo: "My Darling Jim" from Glory Denied
- Mozart: “Deh vieni, non tardar” from Le nozze di Figaro
- Clara Schumann: “Er ist gekommen”
- Florence Price: “Night"
- Prokofiev: “The Grey-Eyed King” from Five Poems of Anna Akhmatova, Op. 27
- John Adams: "Batter my heart" from Doctor Atomic
- Felix Mendelssohn: "Gott, sei mir gnädig" from St Paul
- Cécile Chaminade: "N'est-ce pas?"
- Hall Johnson: "Ain't got time to die"
- Jennifer Higdon: "Red"