Methods of Mailing and Shipping
A Bard ID is required for all package pickups.
When receiving mail via United States Postal Service, use the following address:
Student’s Full Name
Bard College MSC #######
PO Box 5000 Annandale-on-Hudson, NY 12504
(####### This is the student mailbox number.)
When receiving deliveries via UPS, FedEx, or DHL*, use the following address:
Student’s Full Name*These companies will NOT deliver to PO boxes.
30 Campus Road Annandale-on-Hudson, NY 12504
Monday–Friday: 8:30am – 12:00pm and 12:30–5:00pm
Saturday: 9:00am – 12:00pm
Monday–Friday: 9:00am – 5:00pm
No weekend hours or deliveries.
Packages need to be processed before you can pick them up. For USPS deliveries, you will receive a notification slip in your mailbox telling you to pick it up at the Oversize Package Window after the package is processed. An email will also be sent to your Bard email address from firstname.lastname@example.org.
Packages need to be processed before you can pick them up. For UPS, FedEx, and DHL deliveries, when your package is processed, you will receive an email from email@example.com telling you to pick it up at B&G. Please pick up your packages within a week of notice.
Frequently Asked Questions
When do mail and packages arrive on campus?
Mail and packages arrive on campus every morning. Mail is usually available in your mailbox daily at 10:00 am. Packages take longer to process, so please wait until you receive your email or mailbox notification.
How do I know if my package has arrived?
Packages need to be processed before you can pick them up. Please do not come to the Post Office or Shipping and Receiving until you have received the email instructing you that your package is ready to be picked up.
- For USPS (Post Office) packages: You will receive a notification slip in your mailbox instructing you to pick it up at the Oversize Package Window. An e-mail from firstname.lastname@example.org will also be sent to your Bard e-mail address. The Post Office cannot store parcels for any length of time due to lack of space. We encourage you to pick up your parcel immediately.
- For UPS, FedEx, and DHL (Shipping and Receiving) packages: You will receive an email from email@example.com telling you to pick it up at B&G. Due to lack of storage, packages are expected to be picked up within a week. Packages not picked up after two weeks (during the semester) will be returned to sender.
What happens if I forget to pick up my package?
- For USPS (Post Office) forgotten packages: You will receive an email from the Post Office reminding you to pick up your package. The Post Office cannot store parcels for any length of time due to lack of space. We encourage you to pick up your parcel immediately.
- For UPS, FedEx, and DHL (Shipping and Receiving) forgotten packages: Packages not picked up after two weeks (during the semester) will be returned to sender.
What happens to my mail and packages during breaks?
During Winter Intersession and Summer Break, mail coming to the Post Office is forwarded to the home address that we have on file. If you plan to be on campus during these breaks, you can request to have your mail held by notifying us at the Post Office. Magazines cannot be forwarded, and you must contact the publishers of each magazine to have your mailing address changed over breaks. Magazines received by Bard during these breaks will be recycled.
Packages received by Shipping and Receiving during Intersession and Summer Break will be held until the start of the new semester.
How do I send a package from Bard?
- Via First-Class and Express Mail (Post Office): The Post Office is located in the Bertelsmann Campus Center. Our mail truck picks up all outgoing mail at 4:45 pm Monday through Friday. In order for us to guarantee that your package will go out the same day, we recommend that you be here by 4:30 pm. The Post Office accepts cash-only payments.
- Via FedEx, UPS, or DHL (Shipping and Receiving): Shipping and Receiving is located at Buildings and Grounds. There is also a FedEx drop box by the Publications building, on the south end of campus. All drivers arrive in the morning so please have your packages here and ready the night before.
Where do I buy stamps and packing supplies?
- U.S. postage stamps can be purchased at the Post Office located in the Campus Center.
- Packing supplies, envelopes, and packing tape cannot be purchased from the Post Office or Shipping and Receiving, but can be purchased at the Bard College Bookstore.
- You may also buy postage for parcels online at USPS.com at a discounted rate.
How do I inquire about a package I'm expecting?
Before you email or come to the Post Office or Shipping and Receiving, you must find your tracking number. Without your tracking number, we may not be able to help you. Use the general guide below to understand which office can help you with your package.
- USPS tracking codes are usually very long and begin with a 9.
- FedEx tracking codes will be a small set of numbers sometimes starting with a 7.
- UPS tracking codes always start with a 1Z
- DHL tracking codes . . . ?
What happens if someone sent me mail or packages to a name different than my legal name?
The Post Office and Shipping and Receiving are only notified of your legal name. If you prefer to use a different name or know a package may be arriving under a different name, please let us know ahead of time. For security reasons, we cannot assume mail or packages are yours unless you have advised us of any alternate names under which you may receive mail.
Can someone else pick up my mail and/or packages?
You can arrange to have someone else pick up your packages only under the following circumstances:
- The package owner sends a text to the package recipient granting permission. This text must include your full name.
- The package owner contacts the Post Office or Shipping and Receiving directly via email or phone.
Post Office (First Class Mail and USPS Packages):
Post Office FAQs
I forgot my combination. Can I get it again? How do I keep from losing it in the future?
Students often forget or lose their combination card. We will accommodate you, however, we may not able to provide combinations “on demand.” We suggest that you take a picture of your combination lock and save it in your phone.
I’m having trouble opening my mailbox. What should I do?
Please read the directions carefully. If you have tried a number of times, you will need to clear out the lock by turning it to left at least 20 times. If you are still having trouble, come to the front window and ask for help.
How often should I check my mail?
At least three times per week is recommended for most students. If you receive a lot of packages or numerous magazines, you should check your mail more frequently, as the mailboxes are fairly small and do not hold a lot of mail.
Do I keep the same mailbox for all four years?
No, mailboxes change every fall semester. You will be emailed a new mailbox number and combination prior to the start of the fall semester.
If I move off campus, do I still have a mailbox?
All undergraduate students are assigned a mailbox, regardless of whether you live on or off campus.