Bard College Catalogue 2012-13
Bard College: A Selective Chronology
1860—Bard College is founded as St. Stephen’s College by John Bard, in association with the New York City leadership of the Episcopal Church. Bard came from a family of physicians who played significant roles in the launching of Columbia University, New York Hospital, and New York City’s first free public library.
1866—The College grants degrees in the liberal arts and sciences, in addition to the preseminarian program.
1928—St. Stephen’s becomes an undergraduate college of Columbia University.
1929—Franklin Delano Roosevelt becomes a trustee and serves until 1933.
1934—The College is renamed to honor its founder. A new educational program is adapted under President Donald Tewksbury that is based on the Oxford tutorial. It includes a second-year assessment (Moderation) and a Senior Project—both pillars of the Bard education today.
1944—Bard ends its affiliation with Columbia in order to become coeducational.
1947—Radio station WXBC begins as a Senior Project.
1952—The innovative Common Course, designed by Heinrich Bluecher, is inaugurated. It is the forerunner of the current First-Year Seminar.
1956—Bard welcomes 325 Hungarian refugee students to participate in the Orientation Program, which provides instruction in English and an introduction to life in the United States.
1960—The College celebrates its centennial year. Under President Reamer Kline, it undergoes a tremendous expansion in buildings, grounds, faculty and student body size, and core curricula.
1975—Leon Botstein takes office as the 14th president of the College and further expands the educational program by integrating the progressive tutorial system with the classical legacy of St. Stephen’s.
1978—The Bard Center is founded.
1979—Bard assumes responsibility for Simon’s Rock Early College in Great Barrington, Massachusetts.
1981—Bard launches its first affiliated graduate program, the Milton Avery Graduate School of the Arts, which offers a master of fine arts degree. The first Workshop in Language and Thinking is held for entering students.
1982—The Institute for Writing and Thinking is founded.
1986—The Jerome Levy Economics Institute is founded (now the Levy Economics Institute). Bard creates the Excellence and Equal Cost Scholarship Program.
1988—The Graduate School of Environmental Studies (now the Bard Center for Environmental Policy) offers a master of science in environmental studies.
1990—The Center for Curatorial Studies is founded. The literary journal Conjunctions makes its home at Bard. The Bard Music Festival, designed to illuminate the life, work, and times of an individual composer, presents its first season.
1991—The Program for International Education (PIE) brings young people from emerging democracies to study at Bard for a year.
1993—The Bard Graduate Center: Decorative Arts, Design History, Material Culture opens in New York City.
1998—The Institute for International Liberal Education is founded with a mission to advance the theory and practice of international liberal arts education. Programs under its auspices include the International Human Rights Exchange and a joint study program with Central European University in Budapest.
1999—The Bard Prison Initiative is founded to bring new opportunities for higher education into the correctional system of New York State. Smolny College, a collaborative venture between Bard and Russia’s St. Petersburg State University, opens.
2001—Bard and the New York City Department of Education launch Bard High School Early College, a four-year alternative school in downtown Manhattan.
2002—Bard offers the first full major in human rights at a U.S. college.
2003—The Richard B. Fisher Center for the Performing Arts, designed by architect Frank Gehry, opens. Bard and the International Center of Photography join forces to offer an M.F.A. degree in photography.
2004—The Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) Program welcomes its first class.
2005—The Bard College Conservatory of Music opens, offering a unique five-year dual-degree (B.M./B.A.) program.
2006—The Conservatory of Music initiates a graduate program in vocal performance (a graduate conducting program follows in 2010). The Center for Curatorial Studies inaugurates the Hessel Museum of Art. The West Point–Bard Exchange is launched.
2007—The Gabrielle H. Reem and Herbert J. Kayden Center for Science and Computation opens. The College launches the five-year, dual-degree (B.S./B.A.) Program in Economics and Finance.
2008—Bard High School Early College Queens opens in New York City. The Hannah Arendt Center for Politics and the Humanities is established.
2009—Bard partners with Al-Quds University in the West Bank on the College for Liberal Arts and Sciences and a Master of Arts in Teaching program. The Lynda and Stewart Resnick Science Laboratories is completed. Paramount Bard Academy opens in Delano, California. The parliament of reality, the first permanent outdoor installation in the United States by renowned Danish-Icelandic artist Olafur Eliasson, is completed.
2010—The College establishes a partnership with American University of Central Asia. The MAT Program opens a campus at International Community High School in the Bronx. Bard graduates its largest class, 440 undergraduates.
2011—Citizen Science becomes part of the required curriculum for first-year students. The Center for Civic Engagement is established. Construction begins on the Bitó Conservatory Building. Bard High School Early College opens a third campus in Newark, New Jersey.
2012—The Longy School of Music merges with the College. Bard launches Take a Stand, in partnership with Longy and the Los Angeles Philharmonic. Bard assumes ownership of the European College of Liberal Arts in Berlin (ECLA of Bard). Construction begins on an addition to the Stevenson Gymnasium and the Alumni/ae Center. The MBA in Sustainability Program welcomes its first students.