While it is challenging to standardize these requirements, and we are willing to work with you to tailor the admission process, we ask that homeschooled students provide the following:
- Transcripts for any classes taken at an accredited high school or college
- The full syllabus of any class not taken at an accredited high school or college, including: name of class and instructor; goal of class; list of books read and indication of other experiences used to cover the curriculum; method of assessment
- Results of any educational testing
- Standardized test scores (not required) (Bard does not require students to send official reports of their SAT or ACT scores. Students may self-report scores by including their scores in the Testing section of their Common Application or by uploading a copy of their score report to their Bard portal.)
- An analytic paper
- Academic recommendations from non-parent adults who have worked with you: two required; we prefer that one recommendation come from an English or humanities instructor and one from a math or science instructor
- An essay explaining why you chose homeschooling and your experience with your choice (unless this is already covered in your application)
- We strongly recommend a personal interview. In-person and online interviews are available—see below
- Portfolios and Awards: Supplemental materials are not required for admission to Bard; however, if a portfolio is included in an application, students who submit their application by the application deadline have a grace period of 5 days from the deadline to submit supplemental materials such as portfolio materials or to encourage teachers and counselors to submit their recommendation letters.
MUST READ: Bard Portal Information
Once you submit your Common Application, it may take 24-48 hours for us to confirm receipt of your application. Once we receive your application, you will be emailed a confirmation which includes the credentials to access your Bard Portal.
If you submit your Common Application on the deadline date but still have required materials to submit, please note that you will have time to upload those application materials after that deadline date as long as your Common Application has been submitted. It is important, however, that you submit those final materials as soon as possible after the deadline has passed as the admission committee cannot read incomplete applications.
Please do not mail or email any materials directly to the Admission Office unless instructed to do so. Use your Bard Portal and go to your Application Tab to upload and view submitted materials.
Please make a habit of visiting your Bard portal frequently to view your application and financial aid checklists and confirm that we have received all of the materials required to complete your application. We will also be posting information on your portal throughout the admission cycle so it is important to check your portal regularly.
Dates and Deadlines
|Early Applications Due |
Early Action, Early Decision, Immediate Decision Plan, Bard Entrance Exam
|Bard College Aid Scholarship Applications Due (optional and if applicable):||Nov. 1|
|Immediate Decision Plan (IDP) Applicants: Financial aid forms for all IDP applicants to receive early notification of the financial aid estimate are due by this date.||Nov. 1|
|Financial Aid Application Due for Early Applications (FAFSA and CSS Profile) |
FAFSA and CSS Profile must be filed by all Early Decision applicants by this date.
|Decision Notification for Early Applications||Mid December|
|Deposit Due: |
Early Decision, Early Decision 2-Immediate Decision Plan
|Within a month after receipt of decision and/or financial aid package|
|Deposit Due: |
Early Action, Early Action 2-Immediate Decision Plan, Bard Entrance Exam
|Regular Decision Application Due:||Jan. 1|
|Bard College Aid Scholarship Applications Due (optional and if applicable):||Jan. 1|
|Financial Aid Application Due: (FAFSA and CSS Profile)||Feb. 1|
|Decision Notification:||Late March|
|Deposit Due:||May 1|
Applying for Financial Aid?
Required Financial Aid Forms for Bard College
Financial aid and scholarships based on need are available. (For some financial aid scholarships, students will need to fill out a form and submit that form at the same time their application to the College is submitted.) Both the FAFSA and CSS PROFILE forms are required by Bard for domestic students and are found online. For international students, the Bard International Student Application for Financial Aid is required and is to be completed and uploaded to their Bard portal with their application. All students receive access to their Bard Portal via email after submitting their Common Application to Bard College.
Deadlines for Submitting Financial Aid Forms
- Non-U.S citizens who are applying through early application options: November 1
- NOTE for Immediate Decision Plan (IDP) Applicants: November 1 is the deadline for financial aid forms for all IDP applicants (U.S. and Non-U.S. citizens) to receive early notification of the financial aid estimate.
- U.S. citizens applying through all other early application options (Bard Entrance Exam, Early Action, Early Decision): December 1
- Non-U.S. citizens who are applying through the regular decision option: January 1
- U.S. citizens who are applying through the regular decision option: February 1