While it is challenging to standardize these requirements, and we are willing to work with you to tailor the admission process, we ask that homeschooled students provide the following:
- Transcripts for any classes taken at an accredited high school or college
- The full syllabus of any class not taken at an accredited high school or college, including: name of class and instructor; goal of class; list of books read and indication of other experiences used to cover the curriculum; method of assessment
- Results of any educational testing
- Standardized test scores (not required) (Bard does not require students to send official reports of their SAT or ACT scores. Students may self-report scores by including their scores in the Testing section of their Common Application, Coalition with Scoir, or by uploading a copy of their score report to their Bard portal.)
- An analytic paper
- Academic recommendations from non-parent adults who have worked with you: two required; we prefer that one recommendation come from an language, humanities, or art instructor and one from a math or science instructor
- An essay explaining why you chose homeschooling and your experience with your choice (unless this is already covered in your application)
- We strongly recommend a personal interview. In-person and online interviews are available—see here
- Portfolios and Awards: Supplemental materials are not required for admission to Bard; however, if a portfolio is included in an application, students who submit their application by the application deadline have a grace period of 5 days from the deadline to submit supplemental materials such as portfolio materials or to encourage teachers and counselors to submit their recommendation letters.
MUST READ: Bard Portal Information
Once you submit your Common Application or Coalition with Scoir, it may take 24-48 hours for us to confirm receipt of your application. Once we receive your application, you will be emailed a confirmation which includes the credentials to access your Bard Portal.
If you submit your application on the deadline date but still have required materials to submit, please note that you will have time to upload those application materials after that deadline date as long as your application has been submitted. It is important, however, that you submit those final materials as soon as possible after the deadline has passed as the admission committee cannot read incomplete applications.
Please do not mail or email any materials directly to the Admission Office unless instructed to do so. Use your Bard Portal and go to your Application Tab to upload and view submitted materials.
Please make a habit of visiting your Bard portal frequently to view your application and financial aid checklists and confirm that we have received all of the materials required to complete your application. We will also be posting information on your portal throughout the admission cycle so it is important to check your portal regularly.