Financial Aid for Academic Leave of Absence
The following information is required by the Financial Aid Office for all Bard students planning to study abroad or at another institution, in addition to the standard financial aid application materials:
- Apply for approval from the Bard Registrar’s Office that the coursework completed at the host institution will be accepted toward degree requirements at Bard College. (Download application below.)
- Submit documentation of actual charges or costs for the study abroad program (i.e., catalogue statements or any official list of costs from the host institution).
- Submit enrollment certification (showing full-time enrollment) from the program you will be attending. This may be a letter from your host institution once you have registered.
- Submit a Refund Request. (Download request below.)
- Submit the name and address of your program so we may send a Consortium Agreement to be completed between Bard and your host institution.
Federal financial aid that you are eligible for may be used for study at another institution. This may include Pell Grant, SEOG grant and/or Stafford Loan funds. TAP grants from New York State will only be available if you chose to attend another New York institution. If you are a TAP recipient and will be attending another New York institution, check with the financial aid office for further information about using these funds for your academic leave.
Campus-based funds, including Bard scholarships and work-study, will not be available to students who take a leave of absence in order to pursue studies at another institution.
If any of the above listed requirements are missing, then your aid will not be forwarded. Please follow up with our office to confirm that we have all the necessary documentation. Also, remember that you still need to complete all necessary financial aid applications and provide tax information to the Financial Aid Office.
If you are on an academic leave during financial aid deadlines for the following year, be sure all forms are completed by the applicable deadlines:
- CSS PROFILE and FAFSA – March 31
- International Financial Aid Form – April 15
Study abroad does not jeopardize the renewal of your Bard scholarship, as long as you remain in good academic standing and the appropriate forms (PROFILE and/or FAFSA) have been filed for the semester in which you will be returning.