Bard Residence Halls

Alumni Houses [a.k.a. "Toasters"]

Alumni Houses [a.k.a. "Toasters"]
Campus Location: South

The Alumni Houses are a collection of 11 residence halls in the center of campus. The houses are commonly referred to as the "Toasters," and mostly house first-year students. The first of the Alumni Houses were designed by James Polshek and Partners in 1987, and consist of four adjacent residence halls named in honor of alumni Richard Rovere '37, William Rueger '40, The Reverend Frederick A. Shafer '37, and John H. Steinway '39. These four house 19 students each. 

Expand for Alumni Houses [a.k.a. "Toasters"] Expand

Cruger Village

Cruger Village
Campus Location: Cruger Village

Cruger Village is a group of residence halls which includes Cruger, Keen North, Keen South, Oberholzer, and the "Treehouses" Maple, Mulberry, Spruce, and Sycamore.  Maple & Mulberry are women only. Typically home to first-year students, Cruger Village residence halls constitute smaller residential communities, with shared kitchen and laundry facilities. Cruger, Keen North & South are heated and cooled using geothermal systems. A solar thermal hot water system is in use at Keen.

Feitler House

Feitler House

Campus Location: South

Feitler House neighborhood is a student-run vegetarian cooperative, housing 10 Upper College students. Residents share responsibility for all cleaning and meal preparation, and make decisions by consensus. Admission to the co-op is by application from Upper College students only.

Hirsch & Tremblay

Hirsch & Tremblay
Campus Location: Central

These residence halls are for first-year students. These spaces feature laundry and kitchen facilities. Bike racks and parking are available.

Hirsch is heated and cooled using a geothermal system. Tremblay has a solar thermal hot water system and is heated and cooled using geothermal energy.

Manor House

Manor House

Campus Location: North

On the northern end of campus, Ward Manor is a magnificent and picturesque group of buildings, which includes Manor Annex, constructed during the Hudson Valley's 19th-century glory days. It houses about 70 Upper College students, some of whom have private bathrooms and balconies with a view of the Catskill Mountains

Resnick Commons

Resnick Commons

Campus Location: Central

Resnick Commons contains fourteen environmentally friendly student residence halls, designed with Bard student input. They include Resnick Commons A through Resnick Commons L, and the recently built McCausland and Brown. Resnick Commons A,C,G, McCausland and Brown are corridor style buildings with a common area lounge, kitchen and laundry facilities. All other buildings are suite style, with self contained suites consisting of 3 bedrooms, common area, kitchen, and shared bathroom. Resnick Commons buildings make use of timber from non-virgin sources, and are heated and cooled using a geothermal heat exchange system. Eventually the site will be extensively reforested.

Robbins

Robbins
Campus Location: North

Robbins, which consists of  Robbins Original & Robbins Addition, houses upper college students. Parking and bike racks are available. The Student Health Center is also located here. Robbins Addition is heated and cooled using a geothermal system. The building renovation incorporated many features of a LEED building.

Sands House

Sands House

Campus Location: South
Sands is a converted farmhouse with space for 24 Upper College students. Sands has a wellness theme, which means that students abide by house standards, including a prohibition on substance use.  It is particularly homey, comfortable, and peaceful.

South Hall

South Hall
Campus Location: Central

South Hall has a mixture of single- and double-occupancy rooms, housing Upper College students. South Hall was built in 1936 with a loan from Columbia University. This was the only building erected during the Columbia years. Expand for South Hall Expand

Stone Row [North & South Hoffman, Potter & McVickar]

Stone Row [North & South Hoffman, Potter & McVickar]

Campus Location: Central

Stone Row was built in the late 1800s as part of the original St. Stephen's College campus. It consists of four adjacent buildings: North Hoffman, South Hoffman, Potter, and McVickar. They are named after Bishop Potter and Dr. McVickar, who were instrumental in the founding of Bard, and Dr. Charles Frederick Hoffman, a trustee of the College beginning in 1881. Today, the buildings house mostly students in the Upper College.

Expand for Stone Row [North & South Hoffman, Potter & McVickar] Expand

Tewksbury Hall

Tewksbury Hall

Campus Location: South

Tewksbury Hall was built in 1958 as a traditional, corridor-style residence hall. Centrally located, it houses nearly 100 first-year and Upper College students. The rooms feature wall-to-wall windows, and most doubles have an excellent sunset view

 

Important Informational Documents:

Contact Us


Office of Residence Life & Housing
Location: Shea House
1438 Annandale Road
Phone: 845-758-7455
Email: reslife@bard.edu

Important Dates

Download the latest schedule of breaks and residence hall closings below.