Please read the regulations for:
- Bard College maintains a pedestrian campus. All roadways and walkways are considered Fire Lanes.
- Driving/parking on walkways, blocking driveways or parking in handicap parking spaces is prohibited. Violators will be issued a parking citation and their vehicle will be towed. There will be no warning tickets issued.
- Authorization for handicapped parking privileges must be requested from Health Services. This authorization form must be presented to the Department of Safety and Security, who may then issue a sticker.
- All motor vehicles (including motorcycles) must be registered with the Department of Safety and Security. Registration is mandatory for all vehicles parked or operated on campus whether owned by the operator or not. There is an annual $200.00 registration fee for students. Permanent stickers and temporary hang-tags are issued by the Department of Safety and Security located on the second floor of the Old Gym.
- A student may not have more than one vehicle registered in her/his name at any time.
- Faculty, staff and contract employees may register more than one vehicle.
- Community members may interchange their issued hang-tag among vehicles.
Vehicle Registration and Campus Parking Permits
A parking sticker or hang-tag authorizes the parking of a vehicle on campus; it does not establish a designated parking space. The parking sticker or hang-tag indicates the approved lot(s) for the registered vehicle. The assigned lot(s) are the only parking areas authorized for the registered vehicle. Any vehicle parked in an area other than the area(s) assigned will be ticketed and/or towed at the owner's expense. Parking stickers/hang-tags can be obtained from the Director/Assistant Director, Safety and Security located on the second floor of the Old Gym, between 8: 00am and 4: 00pm, Monday through Friday.
- The following documentation is required for issuance of a sticker or hang-tag:
- State Vehicle Registration
- Valid Driver's License
- Bard College I.D. (unless community member)
- A parking sticker is valid only for the vehicle to which it is registered.
- Parking stickers must be displayed at all times in the lower back comer of the rear side window on the driver's side of the vehicle.
- Hang-tags must be displayed on the rear view mirror while the vehicle is parked.
- A student may not have more than one vehicle registered in her/his name.
- Falsifying information on a registration form is a violation of college policy and will result in disciplinary action that could include loss of parking privileges.
- A new sticker must be obtained each academic year.
- The person to whom the vehicle is registered at the college is responsible for all parking fines and towing expenses.
- Any vehicle not displaying a valid sticker will be ticketed as being unregistered.
Campus Visitors & Guests
Visitors and guests are expected to obey all parking regulations. All visitors and guests are required to display a Visitor Hang-Tag, available at the Safety and Security office. Visitor and guest parking areas are so designated.
Disabled vehicles must be reported promptly to the Department of Safety and Security. A temporary disabled vehicle pass, valid for 24 hours, will be issued in such a situation. Such vehicles may not block a roadway, driveway or remain on grass area.
No parking is permitted at the immediate front, side or rear of any building. These areas are designated as fire lanes and as such are required as access routes for fire trucks and other emergency equipment. Any unauthorized vehicle parked in a fire lane is subject to immediate towing at the owner's expense.
During periods of inclement weather it may be necessary for faculty, staff, students, and contract employees to assist Buildings & Grounds personnel by moving vehicles so parking areas can be cleared. Notices will be posted in all residence halls regarding the scheduled dates, times and locations to be cleared.
Vehicle Policy Enforcement
The Department of Safety and Security is responsible for enforcement of parking regulations. In addition to issuing parking and traffic tickets, the department will coordinate with local towing agencies if a vehicle needs to be towed. The owner or operator of the towed vehicle is responsible for the towing cost and daily storage fee. (Safety and Security will not provide transportation to the towing establishment.) If the owner or operator of the vehicle arrives before the towing company, the owner or operator is responsible for paying a service fee, even if the vehicle is not towed
Illegally parked and unregistered vehicles will be ticketed. All parking tickets carry a fine, beginning at $25.00. After a second infraction vehicles may be towed at the owner's expense. Individuals with three or more parking tickets may have their campus parking privileges revoked. Students whose privileges are revoked and continue to violate parking procedures will be subject to disciplinary action. All parking and traffic tickets are payable at the Department of Safety and Security (located on the second floor of the Old Gym) between the hours of 8AM and 4PM, Monday to Friday. Failure to make payment may result in the vehicle being towed.
The campus speed limit is 15mph. Speeding, reckless driving, driving on lawns, walkways, or any place from which a motor vehicle is restricted is prohibited. Any such violations by students will be reported to the Dean of Students. The fine for these violations is $100.00.
Annandale Road is a public highway and the state/local police issue tickets for moving violations. Those tickets must be taken care of by the violators in the local municipal courts, not on campus.
Parking Appeals Forms are available at the Safety and Security dispatcher's desk. Should you feel a ticket was unfairly issued, bring the ticket with you within five days of the violation, fill out an appeal form, and leave it for the Assistant Director, Safety and Security. Your appeal will be reviewed and you will receive a decision, via email, within seven days.
Contacting Safety and Security
Community members should feel free to discuss security policy issues, or any other concerns at any time, confidentiality assured.
- Dial 758-7460
- Director ext. 7300
- Assistant Director ext. 7462
Emergencies Only 758-7777
Our LocationOld Gym, adjacent to Olin Humanities.
The Security Dispatcher's Office and the Patrol Office are located on the first floor.
Security functions 24 hours a day.