Transfer Students

Photo by Pete Mauney
Photo by Pete Mauney '93 MFA '00

What We Do

The Center for Student Life and Advising supports transfer students as they make their transition to Bard. We recognize that students coming to Bard from other institutions of higher education have a unique Bard experience, especially in their first year at the College. We are here to help! Don't hesitate to get in touch.

All of us in the Center for Student Life and Advising are excited that you will be joining us. If you have any questions, please give us a call at 845-758-7454. We can also be reached via e-mail at

Transfer Student Guide

Submit Your ID Photo

Submit Your ID Photo

Your student ID is your primary identification on campus. Student IDs are used to purchase meals at dining halls, gain access to buildings and events, and use library services. Please log in to the Student ID Photo Tool website at to review photo requirements and upload your ID photos. If you submit your image by January 16, your ID card will be in your check-in packet upon arrival. Students who do not submit a photo by this deadline will be required to have their photo taken at check-in. 

Transfer Academics

Transfer candidates with less than a year of college coursework may be required to participate in Bard’s first-year program, as determined by the Registrar of the College. 

Am I Exempt from Bard's First-Year Program? Transfer candidates who have been full-time students and will have completed at least one year of college coursework at the time of matriculation at Bard (as determined by the Registrar of the College) are exempt from the College’s first-year program. They also have the option to take First-Year Seminar.

Bard's Curriculum Even if they arrive at Bard with 64 transferable credits and junior-class standing, transfers may not be prepared to moderate into the Upper College by the end of their first semester at Bard, and are therefore granted two semesters in which to complete their moderation. Learn more about Moderation and the Senior Project.


Transcripts from your previous institution(s), which include final grades, should be sent as soon as possible to Registrar Peter Gadsby, who determines how many credits will transfer and which of Bard’s distribution requirements you have satisfied. If you have questions, contact him directly at or 845-758-7458. Send Transcripts to Office of the Registrar, 30 Campus Road, Annandale-on-Hudson, NY 12504-5000.

+ Arrival Checklist

+ Housing

+ Meal Plan

+ Transportation

Icon for Campus News

Campus News

Icon for Twitter