Bard New Visiting and Exchange Students

International visiting and exchange students come to Bard for a short period of time, typically a semester or a year. They do not earn a four-year degree from Bard, like our matriculating international students, but rather come to Bard to experience the College as part of another program of study. If you are a visiting or exchange student from another country, your primary point of contact at Bard is the Institute for International Liberal Education (IILE) in the Jim and Mary Ottaway Gatehouse.
Welcome Visiting and Exchange Students

Welcome Visiting and Exchange Students

Visiting students come to Bard under the auspices of the Program in International Education (PIE). We are here to support visiting and exchange students as they make the transition from their home institution to Bard. Stay in touch with us as you join the Bard community. We'll help you take advantage of our thriving student life, academic opportunities, and beautiful campus.

Exchange students come to Bard from a number of different international institutions. Visit the Bard Abroad Exchange Website.

Questions? Contact Study Abroad Advisor Trish Fleming by e-mail at, call 845-758-7080, or come visit the Institute for International Liberal Education in the Ottaway Gatehouse.

2018 Exchange Student Checklist

1. Apply for a Student Visa

Non-U.S. citizens studying at Bard must submit the Certificate of Eligibility for non-immigrant (J-1) student status (DS-2019 form) in order to study at the College.
  • Apply for a student visa (J-1 student) at the U.S. consulate in your country of citizenship or country of legal residence and receive a valid U.S. student visa stamp on your passport. Note: By now you should have received a student visa document (form DS-2019) processed by the College, which is an essential document for your visa application process.
  • After you receive a U.S. student visa stamp on your passport, please make sure you pack all important travel documents and supporting documents in your hand luggage/personal carry-on:
    • Valid passport with a student visa stamp and visa document (form DS-2019)
    • All other documents mentioned on the letter included with your visa document mailing—it is best to bring all documents you prepared for the visa interview with you.

2. Complete all Required Forms

IILE staff will communicate with all incoming students regarding course registration, required forms, and visa materials/procedures. 
  • Forms: Required forms are available in the post-decision area of your Studio Abroad application. Please ensure that all forms and requested documentation are uploaded on or before their due dates.
  • Emergency Notification: Register for Bard's Emergency Notification System.
  • Sustainability Pledge: Complete the Bard College Sustainability Pledge.

3. Set Up your Email and Coordinate your Arrival

Before traveling to Bard, students should review information in their welcome packet on what to pack, sending packages, cell phone plans, and more.
  • Arrival Dates and Information: Visiting international students should coordinate their arrival with IILE. Arrival to campus coincides with the arrival of transfer students. Visiting students take part in the transfer student orientation.
  • E-mail: Log in and begin using your new Bard e-mail account. The College expects all students to check their Bard e-mail account regularly. All forthcoming correspondence regarding arrival and housing will be sent to your Bard e-mail address. During the school year, official messages and notifications are often sent via e-mail. You may forward your Bard College e-mail to another host if you would like. Instructions can be found online.