Bard College Student Handbook

Health Services

Robbins Annex, phone: 7433



Monday–Friday 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. by appointment

Thursday evening clinic 4:00 – 7:00 p.m. by appointment

Staffed by four nurse practitioners, a part-time physician, a registered nurse, an administrative assistant, and a receptionist, the Health Service provides outpatient care to all registered undergraduate students to promote optimum physical, emotional, intellectual, and social well-being through primary health care.

In case of a medical emergency, call the Bard Emergency Medical Service (Bard EMS) at 7777 or Safety and Security at 7460 for transportation to Northern Dutchess Hospital. Students under 18 must supply parental or guardian permission for treatment in the event of an emergency.

Health and Immunization Records Prior to registration, all students must complete a health form that includes a personal medical history, results of a physical examination by a physician or nurse practitioner, and an immunization record documented by a health care provider. Particular attention must be paid to current immunization for measles, mumps, and rubella as required by the New York State Department of Health. Students who do not comply with this requirement are not allowed to register for classes. Students must also sign a form required by New York State that they have been informed about the meningitis vaccine.

Allergy Clinic Allergy injections or other prescribed medications may be administered by the Health Service by appointment. A written statement and schedule from the prescribing physician must be submitted. Injections are given under the supervision of the College physician. Students must supply and pay for their own medication.

Medical Equipment For a fee, students may obtain the following medical equipment from the Health Service: crutches $30, canes $10, heating pads $20, peak flow meters $25, opti chambers $14, or thermometers $5.

Medical Expenses: The College charges all undergraduate students a health fee. This allows access to Health Service. 

Health Insurance:  Proof of insurance is a pre-admission requirement.  Bard offers a health insurance policy for those who do not have proof of other insurance or who lose their insurance coverage while in college. Questions concerning insurance, claims and payments should be directed to the Health Services administrative assistant at 845-758-7077.

Medical Syringes Students who use injection medicine, such as insulin, must properly dispose of their needles in sharps containers and not in the general trash. Disposing needles in the general trash places an unfair risk of needle puncture on our housekeeping workers, buildings and grounds staff, BERD staff, and your fellow hall mates. The Student Health Service will provide FREE sharps containers. The Student Health Service will also take them back when they are full because there is regular biohazard pickup at the Health Service. If you have any questions or concerns, please call us at ext. 7433. Improper disposal of needles will result in a fine of $50.00.

Medical Transportation Students are responsible for providing their own transportation to any off-campus medical appointments. Students are advised to call a local taxi service and be prepared to pay the charges at the time of service. The Bard shuttle service is available according to a published schedule.

Medications prescribed by the College physician or nurse practitioner can frequently be dispensed at the Health Service. Students are charged at cost for most medications dispensed at the Health Service. Medications are billed to the student’s Bard account. Prescriptions from private physicians must be filled at a local pharmacy.

Notification of Illness Students are required to notify instructors directly about absences due to illness. Instructors may call the Health Service for verification of a student’s illness, which will be given only with the student’s authorization. For serious illness or hospitalization that is followed by the Health Service, we will notify the Dean of Student Affairs Office for a note to be sent to the student’s faculty members. Students are responsible for contacting their faculty members about any missed work. Some faculty may not accept students’ absences for illness even with documentation.

Smoking Cessation The Health Service strongly encourages and supports students’ efforts to quit smoking. For individuals, we offer smoking-cessation counseling, self-help materials, nicotine replacement patches and lozenges, medication prescriptions and advice about the different options available, and close follow-up and e-mail support. For groups, one of our nurse practitioners has American Lung Association certification to run smoking-cessation workshops. We will run an on-campus group session if there are six students who will commit to a 12-week program. Some helpful websites for those contemplating quitting are,, and

Special Diets A student with a medical condition requiring a special diet prescribed by a physician must submit a letter to the director of the Health Service from his or her physician stating the medical diagnosis and the specific dietary requirements. The student must then submit the medical diet to the Director of Dining Services and the Dean of Student Affairs Office.