Special Education TeacherBard High School Early College Queens, a partnership of Bard College and the New York City Department of Education, invites applications for a full-time staff position beginning Fall 2018. BHSEC, a national model in the field of public school reform, enables talented and highly motivated students to move in four years from the ninth grade through the first two years of college, earning an associate of arts (A.A.) degree from Bard College as well as a high school diploma. The academic program emphasizes small class size and a commitment to teaching a diverse student body in a liberal arts environment.
BHSEC Queens is seeking a licensed special education teacher to co-teach in our program. The successful candidate will work with students, families, and teachers to accomplish the following responsibilities:
- Manage a caseload of students requiring ICT services.
- Co-teach in classrooms, preferably with a specialization in math and science.
- Collaborate with faculty to address needs of individual students; design assignments and lessons; and provide class-specific and discipline support for students.
- Assess students’ needs and identify learning issues for students.
- Provide direct services to students in one-on-one and small group sessions.
- Write IEPs in collaboration with teachers and members of SIT team.
- Attend bi-weekly SIT meetings.
- Must have the willingness to work with faculty on inquiry approaches to teaching and learning as well as special education best practices.
- Update records on SESIS if applicable
- Communicate regularly with families to keep them informed and make them partners in students’ progress.
To apply, send a letter of interest, a curriculum vitae, contact information for at least three references, and a brief (c. 250 word) description of an experience you had as a student or as a teacher that has influenced your teaching. These documents can be submitted through Interfolio.com at: http://apply.interfolio.com/47905.
For relatively recent graduates, please also upload a copy of your undergraduate and graduate school transcripts.
Bard High School Early College is an equal opportunity employer and we welcome applications from those who contribute to our diversity.