Bard Graduate Center
Technical Services & Systems LibrarianThe Bard Graduate Center (BGC), a division of Bard College, is seeking a full-time Technical services & Systems Librarian.
The BGC offers MA and PhD programs in the study of the cultural history of the material world and is committed to the encyclopedic study of things, drawing on methodologies and approaches from art and design history, history of technology, philosophy, anthropology, and archaeology and cultural history. Founded in 1993, the BGC is located on West 86th Street in New York City.
Reporting to the Director of the Library at the Bard Graduate Center, and working closely with other library staff, the Technical Services and Systems Librarian is a full-time staff position that oversees all aspects of technical services and database systems that support library functions.
CHARACTERISTIC DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
Discovery and Access
- Manages the implementation, ongoing development, and maintenance of the library’s discovery tool, Folio. Works across departments and collaborates with outside developers to customize tools and ensure continued development.
- Manages all aspects of technical services workflow and quality control, including database management, planning for future initiatives, proposing technological solutions and supervising cataloging staff.
- Responsible for original and copy cataloging of materials in all formats and a variety of languages.
- Responsible for local system administration of the ILS, OPAC, OCLC, and online periodicals tools, including changing local settings and running reports.
- Works with Library Director to establish departmental policies and procedures, as well as long-range planning.
- Participates in reference services, bibliographic instruction, staff training, and collection development.
- Coordinates the implementation and maintenance of new library software, electronic resources and upgrades.
- Collaborates with other staff members on maintaining the Library’s web presence.
- Compiles monthly statistics for technical services, and as needed for other areas of the library.
- Implements and maintains online database subscriptions.
- Acts as the liaison with Bard College librarians in regards to shared resources.
- Coordinates tasks for campus employees.
- Collaborates across departments to ensure metadata standards are in place for digital projects.
- ALA-accredited MLS with at least 2 years of professional experience
- Thorough knowledge of cataloging principles and procedures including AACR2/RDA, USMARC formats, LCSH, authority control, and LC classification.
- In-depth experience with an integrated library system and online serials tools (Innovative Interfaces and OCLC preferred).
- Excellent database management skills, proxy server maintenance experience preferred.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with a diverse community of colleagues and library users. Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Working knowledge of 1 or more foreign languages.
- Work experience or education in art history, decorative arts, or material culture preferred.
- Familiarity with open source library tools and their implementation (Blacklight preferred).