Bard College at Simon's Rock
Writer / EditorAre you a gifted storyteller with the ability to write expressive, persuasive, and concise copy? Bard College at Simon’s Rock: The Early College seeks a creative and efficient Writer/Editor to join the Marketing and Communications team.
The Writer/Editor reports to the Director of Marketing and Communications and plays a key role on the team, which is collectively responsible for creating a variety of external communications including advertising and marketing materials, website and social media content, program descriptions, student and alumni profiles, publicity, and magazine feature articles to promote academic programs, campus life, and fundraising.
- Conceive, write, and edit a variety of materials such as direct mail outreach pieces, email campaigns, brochures, advertising copy, web content, and landing pages
- Collaborate with departments campus-wide to convey Early College pedagogy, thought leadership, and academic excellence in a relatable way to a variety of audiences
- Maintain relationships and provide direction to freelance writers, designers, and photographers
- Copy edit, fact-check, and proofread, ensuring consistency and accuracy
- Create and maintain brand voice and style guide, crafting messages that engage and inspire across all platforms
- Remain aware of new trends and best practices in higher education marketing and apply them as appropriate
- Work both independently and serve as project manager as required; prioritize and manage a multitude of projects in a deadline-oriented environment to support institutional goals
- Pursue new approaches to storytelling in a multi-media environment and post to social media accounts
- Bachelor's degree, preferably in a major that involved substantial writing
- 5-7 years marketing writing experience, preferably in higher education
- Ability to craft stories that speak to the hearts and minds of a unique audience and motivate them to act
- Superior command of language and vocabulary
- Comfort with writing for a variety of media and audiences and the ability to adapt academic writing to appeal to a broad audience
- Proven ability to handle multiple projects and deadlines while maintaining a high level of attention to detail
- Comfort with receiving and interpreting feedback from multiple sources
- Ability to edit the writing of others
- Team-oriented, fun, creative, and flexible, with excellent interpersonal skills
- Interested in the unique educational model and mission of Simon’s Rock
- Experience with enrollment marketing, fundraising materials, and knowledge of the Chicago Manual of Style are plusses.
- The ability to embrace change and ambiguity with a sense of humor
Bard College at Simon's Rock, The Early College is the only college in the country specifically designed for bright, highly motivated students ready to enter college after the 10th or 11th grade. Simon's Rock offers a challenging program in the liberal arts and sciences, taught exclusively in small seminars by a supportive, highly trained faculty, who are leading scholars in their fields. The College grants degrees in more than 35 majors. The Princeton Review's Best 382 Colleges rates academics at Simon's Rock higher than Harvard and Princeton. The College has an 8:1 student to faculty ratio, with classes averaging 10 students. Thirty percent of the student body are people of color, and the broad range of cultural, ethnic, and geographic diversity found on campus is a point of pride. Located in Great Barrington, in the beautiful Berkshires of Western Massachusetts, the College enrolls approximately 400 students. The campus is also home to Bard Academy at Simon’s Rock, the nation’s first two-year boarding and day program for 9th and 10th graders. Sharing a campus with the College, the Academy is taught by Simon’s Rock professors. After two years, Academy students matriculate into the College, earn their AA degree in two years, and earn their BA degree from Bard College at Simon’s Rock after two more, completing a six-year arc from the beginning of 9th grade to the completion of the BA. As part of the Bard network, Simon’s Rock has access to a global consortium of institutions —including numerous civic, scientific, and art organizations.
This is a full-time exempt position with excellent employee benefits. Employment is contingent upon successful completion of a background search. Simon’s Rock is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply. Please send cover letter, resume, writing samples/case studies and contact information for at least three references to email@example.com (please include “Writer/Digital Content Editor” in the subject line). No phone calls, please. Review process begins immediately applications will be accepted until the position is filled.