Academic Requirements and Regulations
Bachelor’s Degree Requirements
Candidates for a bachelor of arts degree from Bard must meet the following requirements:
- Completion, by entering first-year students, of the August Language and Thinking Program and, by entering transfer students, of the Writing Knowledge Program.. Students failing to complete these programs will be placed on leave and invited to repeat the program the following August.
- Completion, by entering first-year students, of the two-semester First-Year Seminar. Students who transfer into the College with less than 28 credits will complete one semester of the course; those who transfer in with more than 28 credits are exempt from the course.
- Completion, by entering first-year students and midyear transfer students, of the January Citizen Science Program.
- Promotion to the Upper College through Moderation
- Completion of the requirements of the program into which they moderate
- Completion of the courses necessary to satisfy the distribution requirements
- Semester hours of credit: 128 (160 for students in five-year, dual-degree programs; 156 for Conservatory students who enrolled before the fall of 2011) At least 64 credits must be earned at the Annandale-on-Hudson campus of Bard College; for transfer students these 64 credits may include approved study at another institution or within the Bard network". . At least 40 credits must be outside the major division; the First-Year Seminar counts for 8 of the 40 credits.
- Enrollment as full-time students for not less than two years at the Annandale-on-Hudson campus of Bard College or at a program directly run by Bard College
- Completion of an acceptable Senior Project
A student who fulfills the above Bard College requirements also fulfills the requirements of the Regents of the University of the State of New York and of the New York State Education Department.