Office of the Registrar
Office of the RegistrarLudlow, 2nd floor, phone:
7458Email: [email protected]Website: www.bard.edu/registrar
The Registrar’s Office is responsible for maintaining student academic records, and various administrative duties, including preparing the course list, scheduling classes, registering students (including drop/add and withdrawals), tracking moderation and graduation requirements, recording grades and adviser changes, issuing transcripts, preparing enrollment verifications, and other recordkeeping tasks.
The Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) grants various rights to students regarding their academic records:
- The right to inspect and review the student’s academic records
- The right to request the amendment of records that the student believes are inaccurate or misleading
- The right to consent to the disclosures of personally identifiable information contained in the student’s academic records, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent, i.e. the college will not release your academic record without your written permission to any but the following:
- Employees of the college with a legitimate educational interest
- Appropriate parties in connection with an emergency if knowledge of the information is necessary to protect the safety of the student or other individuals
- Parents or guardians of a dependent student as defined by the Internal Revenue Service.
- The right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education concerning alleged failures by Bard College to comply with the requirements of FERPA
- The right to prevent disclosure of any and all types of personally identifiable information that Bard College has designated as “Directory Information”
The following information is considered “Directory Information”, and may be disclosed without students’ explicit permission. (This is the kind of information frequently provided to health insurance companies, potential employers, loan agencies etc.)
Bard College e-mail address
Major and Degree Program
Degree Earned & Date
Academic Honors and Awards
Dates of Attendance
To prevent disclosure of Directory Information students must file a letter with the Office of the Registrar requesting that no information be released without the written consent of the student.
Questions about FERPA and Bard College’s compliance procedures should be directed to the Registrar.