Bard High School Early College Bronx
Adjunct Professor - BiologyEmployer Website: http://apply.interfolio.com/125582
Bard Early College (BHSEC) invites applications for an adjunct faculty member in Biology for our New York City based campuses.
About the Bard Early Colleges
The Bard Early Colleges (BEC) are founded on the belief that, for many young people, college can and should start at an earlier age. Acting on this belief, Bard Early College enables students to begin serious college study in place of the traditional 11th and 12th grades, at no cost to students or families. The Bard Early Colleges offer a unique home for young people’s intellectual ambition: as both tuition-free, branch campuses of Bard College and public high schools, they award a high school diploma and a Bard College Associate in Arts degree (and 60 transferable credits) by the end of the 12th grade. Students are taught by Bard College faculty in undergraduate, seminar classes, all deeply rooted in the liberal arts and sciences, in Bard College’s commitment to excellence in teaching, and in Bard’s mission as a private college in the public interest. Now entering its third decade, the Bard Early College network enrolls over 3,000 young people in campuses in Queens, Manhattan, and Hudson, New York; Newark, New Jersey; New Orleans, Louisiana; Cleveland, Ohio; Baltimore, Maryland; and Washington, D.C.
BEC seeks candidates able to teach college level Biology courses. Ability to also teach Physics and/or Chemistry in addition to Biology is preferred; candidates will teach courses in their fields of specialization, as well as interdisciplinary courses in the sciences. Successful applicants will be innovative teachers, skilled at developing and overseeing the laboratory component of biology courses, ensuring that all students receive hands-on experience with molecular biology techniques and instrumentation. Successful candidates will promote critical thinking and inquiry-based learning in the classroom and laboratory setting, using a variety of teaching methods to engage students and enhance their understanding of biology concepts.
Location: Bard High School Early College (BHSEC) Bronx, 1619 Boston Road, Bronx, NY 10460
Start Date: September 2023
Duration: Part-time, ongoing
Compensation: The salary for the position will depend on degree/credit attainment and years of experience as per the United Federation of Teacher’s (UFT) salary scale found here: https://www.uft.org/your-rights/salary/doe-and-city-salary-schedules/teachers-salary-schedule-2018-2021
- Participate in curriculum development (especially for new elective courses).
- Commitment to regular and ongoing professional development.
- Commitment to working with students individually and in small groups through tutoring, office hours and advising outside of regular class time.
- Communicate regularly with administrators, parents and other stakeholders about student progress and engagement.
- Participate fully in the life of the school, including student advising, club advising, and committee service.
- The ideal candidate will be a skilled educator with a demonstrated interest in engaging and challenging younger students with diverse racial backgrounds, economic backgrounds, and a variety of approaches to learning and/or needs for learning supports.
- The ideal candidate will have an interest in working with high school age students who are completing a college-level course of study.
- The ideal candidate will demonstrate a continued interest in the ongoing work in their field.
- The ideal candidate will understand cultural differences and purposefully help to uplift ideas from underrepresented groups to improve the equity balance in education.
- The ideal candidate will exhibit an inclusive philosophy that supports all students and their capability to succeed regardless of differences and challenges.
- Preference will be given to those candidates who have earned a Ph.D. in their field and have both college and high school teaching experience.
Please upload a letter of interest, one-page teaching statement, curriculum vitae, and three letters of reference through the Interfolio job application link provided here: http://apply.interfolio.com/125582 click on the "Apply Now " button found on the upper right corner.
Review of applications begins immediately and will proceed until the position is filled.
Bard High School Early College is an equal opportunity employer and we welcome applications from those who contribute to our diversity. Women and members of under-represented groups are strongly encouraged to apply.
Questions: Contact Dumaine Williams, Vice President and Dean of the Early Colleges at [email protected] with questions about the position.