Bard College at Simon's Rock
Kilpatrick Athletic Center Fitness DirectorThe Kilpatrick Athletic Center at Bard Academy and Bard College at Simon’s Rock, located in Great Barrington, Massachusetts, seeks an experienced and knowledgeable professional to join the Kilpatrick leadership team as the Fitness Director. Reporting to the Athletic Director, the Fitness Director will oversee the daily operations of the fitness department, and is responsible for leading a team of group fitness instructors, personal trainers, and fitness room attendants.
The Fitness Director is responsible for the development and implementation of land-based group exercise classes, programs, and clinics that address the varied needs of the Kilpatrick Athletic Center community. The Fitness Director will also coordinate and implement the Athletic and Recreation segment of the First Year Experience for the First Year college students and teach or coordinate fitness classes for the 9th and 10th grade Academy students at least twice a week.
There is an option to teach group fitness classes that focus on the Fitness Director's interests as well as offering Personal Training services as time allows.
- Oversee the daily operations of the fitness department
- Develop, implement, and supervise classes, programs, clinics, and intramurals, including athletic and recreation opportunities for students
- Develop and manage an intramural program for students
- Collaborating with staff members to ensure cleanliness and tidiness of facilities plus maintenance of equipment
- Advise participants on program and class procedures and policies
- Ensure that safety and injury prevention policies and procedures are adhered to by participants; report accidents and prepare accident reports as required
- Attend and participate in management meetings
- Develop and manage action plans to reach overall goals
- Recruit staff and ensure optimal staffing levels
- Train new staff members
- Serve as a Manager-on-Duty in a rotating schedule with other MODs
- Associate’s degree or higher in a related field
- Fitness management experience preferred
- Possible certifications with an accredited organization in personal training, TRX, Crossfit, Pilates, Yoga, Aqua Aerobics, etc.
- Knowledge of fitness training and education methods and techniques in the area of specialty
- Ability and knowledge to show all applicable skills and exercises to participants
- Knowledge of exercise principles and technologies
- Ability to communicate effectively and deal tactfully and courteously with a diverse community
- Must be able to work with various age groups
- Must be able to work a schedule that includes some evening, weekend, and holiday hours
Applicants should send a letter of interest, resume and contact information for three professional references to Sue Lupo, Business Manager at the Kilpatrick Athletic Center, with “Fitness Director” in the subject line ([email protected]).
Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.