Bard High School Early College Manhattan
Full-time Faculty - Arabic Language/Middle Eastern StudiesEmployer Website: http://apply.interfolio.com/125951
Bard High School Early College (BHSEC) Manhattan invites applications for a faculty position in Arabic language instruction, to begin in the fall of 2023. We seek a teacher-scholar who is passionate about Arabic, creative in engaging students, and dedicated to working with adolescents. More information about BHSEC is available here: https://bhsec.bard.edu/manhattan
Applicants should be prepared to teach Arabic language classes at all levels, as well as courses on the civilizations of the Islamic world. The area of specialization is open. College teaching experience and Ph.D. (in hand by August 2023) are preferred, and experience with younger students is a plus. The successful candidate will teach four courses per semester.
This full-time position provides the opportunity to work with a dedicated faculty of scholars, scientists and artists, most of whom hold terminal degrees in their fields. In their four years here, BHSEC students earn an associate of arts (A.A.) degree from Bard College in addition to a New York State high school diploma. The academic program emphasizes small class size, seminar-style discussion and a commitment to teaching a diverse student body in a liberal arts environment.
Location: Bard High School Early College at 525 E Houston Street in New York City, NY
Start Date: Late August 2023
Salary Range: $55-$80K based on experience
- This position is open to experienced teacher-scholars who hold a Master's or PhD in Arabic literature and culture or a related field.
- The successful candidate should be capable of teaching Arabic classes from the high school level through the college 200-level as well as literature and culture courses in translation.
- We seek teachers and scholars deeply committed to their field and creative in engaging students at both the college and high school levels.
- We seek candidates with an interest in working with high school age students who are completing a college-level course of study, and the New York State teaching certification is a plus.
- The ideal candidate will exhibit an inclusive philosophy that supports all students and their capability to succeed regardless of differences and challenges.
- We seek candidates with a strong commitment to equity and social justice and the desire to open up opportunities for underrepresented students.
- Candidates must understand cultural difference and purposefully help to uplift ideas from underrepresented groups to improve the equity balance in education.
- A commitment to reducing and an openness to learning about potential barriers to inclusion are needed.
Please apply directly with Bard College / Bard Early Colleges by clicking on the “Apply Now” button found on the upper right corner through the Interfolio job application link provided here: http://apply.interfolio.com/125951
Use the Interfolio link provided to upload the following documents directly with Bard College:
- A letter of interest (including a description of a proposed course)
- A teaching portfolio (including statement of teaching philosophy and a sample writing assignment for the proposed course
- Contact information for three references
Inquiries: If you have any questions about the position, please reach out to Dean of Academic Life, William H. Hinrichs, [email protected] Include your name and “Fall 2023 Arabic Search” in the subject line.
All materials must be submitted electronically.