Al-Quds Bard, Palestine
Part-time Molecular Genetics Laboratory Teaching and Research Assistant (with possibility of FT extension)Employer Website: https://apply.interfolio.com/91588
Entering its thirteenth year of operation in Fall 2021, Al-Quds Bard College for Arts and Sciences (AQB) is an innovative program offering a liberal arts undergraduate education and Master of Arts in Teaching program in Palestine, with an enrollment of 310 students in 2020-21. AQB’s undergraduate program, taught in English, is rigorous and culminates in a two-semester independent senior project, which, in the sciences, is generally a demanding original research project. Graduates of AQB receive dual degrees: a BA or a MAT from Al-Quds University and from Bard College (New York).
Al-Quds Bard College seeks a part-time highly organized and motivated laboratory teaching and research assistant member in its Natural Sciences division, with principal responsibilities within its programs in Molecular Genetics and Biology. The primary responsibility of the candidate in the laboratory will be to assist with molecular biology, genetics, cell biology and other biological experiments in the field; perform molecular biology techniques including but not limited to PCR, sequencing, cloning, bacterial transformation, media and buffer preparations, purification of proteins and propagation and preservation of cells; maintain accurate records of experiments and laboratory materials and supplies; maintain test equipment used in experiments; perform general lab maintenance, cleanliness; and ordering laboratory supplies.
Other responsibilities include contact with students and senior project advisers in order to support and facilitate the students’ research senior projects in the molecular biology and genetics fields, including ordering reagents and helping with experiments. Additionally, the laboratory teaching assistant is expected to engage in community service to contribute to the development of AQB.
- Knowledge of commonly used practices and procedures used for molecular biology and genetics, including PCR, sequencing, cloning methods, bacterial transformation, gel electrophoresis, mammalian cell culture, sterile techniques and reagents preparations.
- Assembly and operation of laboratory equipment and apparatus.
- Demonstrate attention to detail, and have organization and management skills.
- Ability to record and evaluate data obtained from work assignments, including teaching laboratory courses and students research senior projects.
- Scientific creativity and ability to communicate ideas to others.
- Must have the ability to interact with colleagues, supervisors and students.
- Must have the ability to work very closely with students from the molecular genetic or biology programs to complete the practical laboratory work of their research senior projects.
- Ability to train students and/or other colleagues in laboratory methods or equipment.
- Perform other assigned duties in support of the mission and goals of the Natural Sciences division at AQB.
- Bachelor’s degree in the related fields, Master’s degree in Molecular Biology, Genetics, or Biotechnology from a university of recognized standing is a plus
- A minimum of 3 years’ experience in the field of molecular biology, genetics or biotechnology laboratory techniques
- Excellent oral and communication skills, fluent English, ability to communicate in Arabic a plus
Please submit a CV; a cover letter that addresses your interest and background as it relates to this position, previous work experience certificates and three letters of reference through Interfolio.com: https:// http://apply.interfolio.com/91588
Review of applications will commence in August 2021.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Bard College is an equal opportunity employer and we welcome applications from those who contribute to our diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, mental, or physical disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, familial status, veteran status, or genetic information.
Bard is committed to providing access, equal opportunity, and reasonable accommodation for all individuals in employment practices, services, programs, and activities.