Open Society University Network (OSUN)
Developer for International Digital Projects and CurriculumEmployer Website: http://apply.interfolio.com/98847
The Experimental Humanities Collaborative Network (EHCN) is a new initiative funded by the Open Society University Network (https://osun.bard.edu/) aimed at supporting innovative, interdisciplinary pedagogy that emphasizes skills-based learning with a range of technologies, critical reflection, and social justice. The EHCN seeks a creative and versatile software developer to design, build, and support the network’s projects in the digital arts and humanities. This developer will be an integral part of a dynamic interdisciplinary network and will work closely with all EHCN partners (https://eh.bard.edu/ehcn/) as well as academic technology services to experiment with new approaches and tools toward content creation and presentation.
The position requires expertise in web design and development, strong interpersonal skills, both flexibility and a self-driven work ethic, appreciation for the arts and humanities, and a passion for learning new things. Experience with tools to support digital methodologies (e.g., archiving, data-driven text analysis, new media studies, software studies, interactive mapping) and/or interest to learn will be beneficial for this position.
Depending on the candidate’s background and interests, the person in this position may have the opportunity to take on some mentorship and/or training roles with Experimental Humanities faculty, staff, and students. The candidate will be an integral part of a team based out of the Center for Experimental Humanities (https://eh.bard.edu/) at Bard College, New York. The option of working primarily remotely may be considered for candidates located on the East Coast of the U.S. (to better coordinate with international time zones). This is a full-time, exempt position.
The successful candidate will excel at working in a community that is broadly diverse with regard to race, ethnicity, socioeconomic status, gender, nationality, sexual orientation and religion. The Open Society University Network (OSUN) is a new global network of educational institutions that integrates learning and the advancement of knowledge across geographic and demographic boundaries, promotes civic engagement on behalf of open societies, and expands access to higher education for underserved communities. The Central European University and Bard College co-founded OSUN with the support of the Open Society Foundations.
- Work with EHCN Project Co-Leaders, Program Manager and Postdoc Fellow to oversee technical training for EH Network faculty and students – especially planning and offering relevant workshops, including to train those who will administer skills-based tech workshops at their home institutions.
- Work closely with faculty across the network to build and customize software applications for coursework and large-scale projects in the digital arts and humanities.
- Liaise with Academic Technologists and IT staff to ensure there are sustainable workflows, server space negotiations, and archival/maintenance plans in place for digital projects at partner institutions.
- Liaise with Instructional Support (based in IT) to support technical needs for EH courses across the network.
- Collaborate with Annandale-based EH developer and team to experiment with new. approaches and tools toward content creation and presentation for curricular use and public-facing projects.
- Bachelor's degree required
- 3-5 years of experience
- Experience supporting AWS / cloud solutions
- Proficient using version control software (e.g., git, mercurial)
- Intermediate UNIX systems administration skills (including experience with docker)
- Experience deploying and customizing open source software
- Knowledge of web development standards, cross platform compatibility and accessibility
- Ability and desire to communicate with technical and non-technical audiences and prepare project documentation to support training and best practices
- Experience with Omeka, Adobe Creative Suite, and WordPress preferred
- Experience with mobile app development, prototyping, wireframing tools, design, or mapping/GIS software is highly desirable
- Experience with IT in a higher education setting is desirable
Please submit a cover letter, resume, the contact information for three references, and samples of work (e.g. website or github URL). http://apply.interfolio.com/98847
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until December 3, 2021.
About Bard College
Bard College’s main campus is in Annandale-on-Hudson, NY with 1900 undergraduate students; the campus also features multiple graduate programs. Bard College is a private institution working in the public interest. Bard faculty and staff lead their students by example, building upon the existing network of boundary-breaking programs focused on rethinking who can and should be included in this kind of education.