About the Bard Early Colleges
The Bard Early Colleges (BECs) are founded on the belief that many high school–age students are eager and ready for the intellectual challenges of a college education. The Bard Early Colleges act on this belief by providing younger scholars with a tuition-free, credit-bearing college course of study in the liberal arts and sciences following the 9th and 10th grades. Students are taught by college faculty in seminar classes; they receive up to 60 college credits and an associate in arts (A.A.) degree from Bard College, concurrently with a high school diploma.
Now in its second decade, the Bard Early College network serves over 3,000 students in campuses in Lower Manhattan and Queens, New York; Newark, New Jersey; New Orleans, Louisiana; Cleveland, Ohio; Baltimore, Maryland; and in Washington, DC. Since 2003, Bard College has awarded more than 3,000 A.A. degrees to its early college students.Position Objectives:
The School Counselor will remain accessible and available to students for advising and counseling in regards to academic, educational, socio-emotional, short-term and long-term intra and interpersonal conflicts. School counselor candidates should be competent in serving as a consultant for students and families, faculty and staff for specific academic, educational, and socio-emotional needs as presented by the campus.
Additionally, the School Counselor will establish relationships with college admissions representatives and help them interpret and appreciate the unique BECNO transcript. The School Counselor also assists with in-house college fairs as well as event/trip planning and data management.
The successful candidate will have strong management and interpersonal skills, will function effectively as part of a team, and will show an interest in our mission and in enabling our students to make a smooth transition to four–year colleges or other appropriate paths. Prior experience with college admissions or advising is preferred.
As part of a small team, BECNO employees work together to ensure the completion of successful initiatives centering student outcomes. A good fit for this position is a motivated individual, a self-starter who is able to plan and execute projects from beginning to end, someone who is creative, solutions-oriented and willing to put in the necessary work to establish this new position at BECNO.
The School Counselor will report to the Head of Early College and will work closely with the BECNO administrative team. This position is for a 12 month contract.Duties
Job Type: Full-timeCompensation:
- College and financial aid guidance (both in and outside of routine college advisory classroom space)
- Assist Head of Early College in creating a college access curriculum
- Coordinate with college faculty and the student activities office on field trips and other experiential learning activities
- Host parent and family college access workshops or series
- Alumni data collection and engagement
- Standardize and institutionalize alumni data collection
- Work with internal and external partners to provide additional supports, build networks, and improve mechanisms for success and completion in college
- Routinely visit local college campuses to push-in advising and support with alumni
- Plan events that connect alumni with BECNO campus and current students
- Student Services Team
- Participate as a member of the Student Services Team
- Work closely with the Dean of Students to support in the BECNO admissions process
- Keep track of student attendance, report data to Student Services Team, and plan appropriate follow up
- Teach at least one course per year that fits within the humanities field aligned with their training and expertise
- Course should qualify as Bard College 3-credit course or 4-credit course option (4-credit specific to Psychology)
- Course can be in addition to participation in campus-wide Seminar course
up to $50,000 Annual Salary plus benefits (compensation commensurate with experience)Job Location:
Bard Early College in New Orleans, LouisianaStart Date Timeline:
June or July 2022 or As soon as possible in 2022 (flexible start date)