Al-Quds Bard, Palestine
Full-time Faculty – Master of Arts in Teaching ProgramEmployer Website: http://apply.interfolio.com/106040
In its thirteenth year of operation, Al-Quds Bard College for Arts and Sciences (AQB) is an innovative program introducing a liberal arts undergraduate education to the West Bank, with an enrollment of approximately 331 undergraduate and graduate students. ABQ’s undergraduate program, taught in English, is rigorous, culminating in a two-semester independent senior project, which, in many fields, is a demanding research paper. The Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) program requires an equal amount of advanced study in the elected academic discipline (Mathematics, Biology, English, History, or Sciences) and in education needed courses that challenge teachers to apply the results of research and pedagogical analysis to the actual work of teaching. Graduates of AQB receive two degrees: a BA or a MAT from Al-Quds University and a BA or MAT from Bard College (New York).
The MAT program works closely with the Center for Teaching and Learning (CTL), an innovative hub for engagement in teaching and learning. It is a central pillar for professional development for teachers and faculty.
Al-Quds Bard College is one of 15 faculties at Al-Quds University (AQU) in Abu Dis. The College is also part of a global network of higher education institutions, the Open Society University Network (OSUN).
AQB seeks a full-time faculty member for its Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) program beginning in fall 2022, with a specialty in teaching methods in one of the following subjects: Mathematics, Biology, English, History, or Sciences. Principal responsibilities include teaching existing core courses in education such as curriculum and instruction, cognition and learning, educational theory and practice, along with developing new methods, modules in teaching, and curricular initiatives. It also includes improving existing curricula in the MAT program that will enhance the pedagogical skills of K-12 teachers while teaching in their classrooms or the online environment. The specialist in teaching methods should also be able to supervise MAT students while developing their classroom research projects (CRPs).
The position reports to the MAT Director. The expected start date is 20 August 2022.
- Teach a full academic load of six four-credit courses at the MAT program. Courses include education and discipline courses.
- Supervise and advise students on developing their classroom research projects and research seminars (based on specialty and discipline).
- Conduct professional development workshops for K-12 teachers and university faculty through ABQ’s Center for Teaching and Learning.
- Presence on campus for the major part of four days each week. A fifth day may be required as well.
- Hold appropriate number of office hours for students enrolled in each course.
- Participate in academic committees and other academic activities/initiatives at AQB.
- Availability on campus according to the AQU and AQB academic calendars.
- Participate in faculty meetings and development activities every semester.
The candidate should have:
- Doctor of Education (EdD); or a Ph.D. in Education degree with a specialty in teaching methods or other related fields
- At least three years of teaching experience in the fields of Mathematics, Biology, English, History, or Sciences for elementary or secondary schools. (preferably in Palestine)
- Full understanding of learning theories and their implications in teaching and learning.
- Knowledge of the educational system structure in Palestine.
- Excellent problem-solving and communication skills.
- Fluent in both Arabic and English languages.
- A resume, a cover letter, and 3 recommendation letters
- Proof of teaching experience and syllabi, including how the applicant devolved, integrated, and implemented existing or new teaching methods at the classroom level to promote higher-order-thinking skills, critical thinking, and creativity.
- a sample of an education course outline (optional).
Bard College is an equal opportunity employer and we welcome applications from those who contribute to our diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, mental, or physical disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, familial status, veteran status, or genetic information.
Bard is committed to providing access, equal opportunity, and reasonable accommodation for all individuals in employment practices, services, programs, and activities.