Bard Graduate Center
Library AssistantBard Graduate Center, a division of Bard College located on West 86th Street in New York City, is seeking a full-time, Library Assistant.
Bard Graduate Center offers MA and PhD programs in the study of the cultural history of the material world and is committed to the encyclopedic study of things, drawing on methodologies and approaches from art and design history, history of technology, philosophy, anthropology, and archaeology and cultural history. Founded in 1993, the Bard Graduate Center is located on West 86th Street in New York City.
Reporting to the Director of the Library, this full-time, non-exempt position, plays a significant role in supporting all aspects of the Library’s functions. Primary duties include processing new library acquisitions, handling financial and administrative transactions, and maintaining our serials collection. Other duties include catalog database maintenance, course reserves support and reference desk duty.
Primary Responsibilities and Duties:
- Organizes library financial transactions including: check requisitions, filing invoices, reconciling expenditures, maintaining budget, and working closely with Finance and Administration to keep operations running smoothly.
- Update and maintain the Library Budget and manage annual subscription renewals.
- Processes incoming gifts to the library, maintains database of incoming gifts and manages associated correspondence.
- Performs serials maintenance including checking-in new issues, claiming missing issues, running claim cycles and reports, and pursuing back issues.
- Prepares materials for the bindery (serials, monographs, and student qualifying papers and dissertations) and processes them upon their return to the library.
- Oversees periodical stacks throughout the building and periodical shelves in Reading Room.
- Assists the Technical Services Librarian with catalog database maintenance, records clean up, and other tasks as assigned.
- Assist with processing and mailing Interlibrary Loan requests
- Provides Reference Desk coverage as needed; Circulation for faculty, requests for special collections, QP consultations, receiving library visitors, directing questions.
- Other duties as assigned. General office and library upkeep.
- Orders, organizes, and maintains library supplies
- Contributes to the maintenance and care of library equipment assets and assists in proper training of use (BookEye, Printers, Scanners, etc.)
- BA in related field – art history, history, American studies, design history, material culture studies, etc.
- At least one year of experience in a library or museum setting with responsibilities in technical services or acquisitions.
- Experience in handling departmental financial transactions.
- Familiarity with standard cataloging procedures: AACR2, RDA, and LC classification
- Experience with integrated library systems
- MA in related field - art history, history, American studies, design history, material culture studies, etc.
- MLS coursework or archives certificate
- Reference and bibliographic instruction experience
- Working knowledge of one or more foreign languages
Bard Graduate Center is an equal opportunity employer and we welcome applications from those who contribute to our diversity.