Bard High School Early College Queens
Full-Time Faculty - World LiteratureEmployer Website: http://apply.interfolio.com/120320
Bard High School Early College (BHSEC) Queens invites applications for a position in our Literature Department, starting in the fall of 2023. The successful candidate will teach World Literature courses in our high school program, Seminar sequence courses in our college program, and electives in their area of expertise. Scholars with expertise in the literatures of Central Asia, Eastern Asia, or Africa are especially encouraged to apply. All BHSEC Queens faculty also participate actively in the life of the school, advising students, serving on committees, or sponsoring extracurricular activities.
About Bard Early Colleges
Bard High School Early College Queens, a partnership of Bard College and the New York City Department of Education, invites applications for a full-time faculty position in our Literature Department beginning fall 2023. BHSEC Queens seeks teachers and scholars deeply committed to their field and creative in engaging students at both the college and high school levels. BHSEC enables talented and highly motivated students to move in four years from the ninth grade through the first two years of college, with the goal of earning an associate of arts (A.A.) degree from Bard College as well as a NY State high school diploma. The academic program emphasizes small class size and a commitment to teaching a diverse student body in a liberal arts environment.
Number of expected hires: 1
Location: Bard High School Early College (BHSEC) Queens, 30-20 Thomson Ave., Long Island City, Queens, NY
Start Date: September 2023
Duration: Full-time ongoing
Compensation: The compensation for teaching these classes is based on the NYC DOE salary scale found on this page: https://www.uft.org/your-rights/salary/doe-and-city-salary-schedules/teachers-salary-schedule-2018-2021. The position may be funded by either Bard College or the NYC Department of Education.
- The ideal candidate will be a skilled educator with a demonstrated interest in engaging and challenging younger students with diverse racial backgrounds, economic backgrounds, and a variety of approaches to learning and/or needs for learning supports
- The ideal candidate will have an interest in working with high school age students who are completing a college-level course of study
- The ideal candidate will demonstrate a continued interest in the ongoing work in their field
- The ideal candidate will understand cultural difference and purposefully help to uplift ideas from underrepresented groups to improve the equity balance in education
- Preference will be given to those candidates who have earned a Ph.D. in their field and have both college and high school teaching experience
Please click on the “Apply Now” button found through the Interfolio job application link provided here: http://apply.interfolio.com/120320
- A letter of interest (including research interests)
- Curriculum Vitae / Resume
- A brief (c. 250 word) description of an experience you had as a student or teacher that has influenced your teaching
- Three letters of reference. Please ask that the recommender place “World Literature Candidate BHSEC Queens – reference for (your name)” in the subject.
Contact Principal Laura Hymson, [email protected] with questions about the position.
People of color, gender oppressed, LGBTQ, immigrants with work permission, and people of diverse social and economic backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
All application materials must be submitted via the Interfolio URL shown above.