Bard Prison Initiative
Assistant Director of Institutional Advancement - Bard Prison Initiative (BPI)
Employer Website: https://axistalentpartners.applytojob.com/apply
Formed in 1999 to address the mass incarceration crisis, the Bard Prison Initiative (BPI) defies expectations of who college is for and where it might lead. For twenty years, BPI has reimagined and redefined questions of availability, affordability, and expectations typically associated with college in America. One of the most rigorous and effective college-in-prison programs in the country, BPI is now extending its radical intervention in educational inequity outside of prison through the Bard Microcollege. BPI currently enrolls 400 women and men across six New York State prisons and two microcollege campuses. To date, students have earned 550 Bard college degrees.
About the Opportunity:
As a key member of a cross departmental development team of four, the Assistant Director of Institutional Advancement (Assistant Director) will work closely with program staff to support BPI’s mission and ambitious five-year strategic plan. In this role, the Assistant Director will secure gifts via foundations and institutions that will support BPI’s core programs and expansion. Further, the Assistant Director will engage with multiple internal and external stakeholders to support the broader foundation and institutional donor strategy and oversee internal operations and systems.
Key Responsibilities and Outcomes:
- Author concise, clear, and persuasive fundraising materials including reports, proposals, and letters for institutional funding audiences; and
- Identify and research new funding partners, and support development and organizational leadership to pursue funding opportunities.
Systems and Data Management
- Partner with program staff to track data and outcomes for reporting and communications;
- Maintain and manage a calendar of grant-related deadlines; and
- Work with the Director of Finance and Operations to create respective portfolio income/expense budgets that reflect the organization’s objectives for general or programmatic operations.
- Collaborate with other departments within the organization to provide a team approach to project management;
- Develop and manage all necessary and relevant functional area processes and procedures on an as-needed and ongoing basis; and
- Ensure ongoing effective interdepartmental communications.
- Alignment with BPI’s mission of defying expectations of who college is for and where it might lead
- Bachelor’s degree or higher preferred
- Proven record in successful grant writing required
- Exceptional writing and communication skills, including at least 2-4 years of professional grant writing experience, with ability to represent BPI’s mission to supporters and deep understanding of BPI’s core values
- Precise editing skills and attention to detail
- Comfortable working independently and in a fast-paced environment juggling multiple deadlines, multiple projects, and competing priorities
- Ability to understand and use data in assessing and communicating program outcomes
- Knowledge of and demonstrated proficiency in the use of fundraising databases and software
- Must be able to build relationships with and support a student body that is broadly diverse with regard to race, ethnicity, socioeconomic status, gender, gender identity, nationality, sexual orientation, and religion.
BPI’s Benefits & Culture:
- This position is fully benefits-eligible through Bard College. Staff benefits include health insurance with prescription, vision, and dental, as well as employer contributions to a retirement plan.
- A private institution serving in the public interest, Bard College is committed to critical inquiry, civic engagement, and the expansion of educational access to underserved communities.
This search is being managed by Axis Talent Partners, a talent strategy and search firm that partners with social impact organizations. Interested candidates should submit a resume and responses to the questions below no later than March 31, 2021 to: https://axistalentpartners.applytojob.com/apply
- What about BPI’s mission, to defy expectations of who college is for and where it might lead, resonates with you and why?
- What about your passions, skills and prior experiences will make you effective in this role?
BPI is an equal opportunity employer and we welcome applications from those who contribute to our diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, mental, or physical disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, familial status, veteran status, or genetic information. Bard is committed to providing access, equal opportunity, and reasonable accommodation for all individuals in employment practices, services, programs, and activities.