Head Cross Country and Track & Field CoachEmployer Website: https://apply.interfolio.com/129959
The Bard College Department of Athletics and Recreation seeks a full-time Head Cross Country and Track & Field Coach. The position reports to the Director of Athletics on all matters related to the responsibilities listed below. Priority in hiring for this position will be given to individuals with a background in working with distance runners.
- Recruits, instructs, and leads student-athletes within the philosophy of the College, Athletic Department, Liberty League, and NCAA Division III, and ensures a safe, equitable, positive environment for all student-athletes on the team to develop and improve both individually and collectively.
- Creates and maintains an environment within the Women’s and Men’s Cross-Country and Track & Field programs where athletes of all experience and ability levels are given the opportunity to learn and develop as runners.
- Recruits an academically qualified, diverse, engaged, and enthusiastic roster of student-athletes through travel to events, phone calls, email, social media, and other means and platforms. Utilizes ARI, the department’s recruiting software, and regularly interacts with the Bard Admission office.
- Hires and manages a staff to ensure that sprinters, throwers, and jumpers are all given access to appropriate coaching and mentoring.
- Assists student-athletes in the process of navigating college, including academic, athletic, social, and other concerns. Communicates issues to department staff and Bard Student Services staff as necessary.
- Trains and prepares student-athletes for intercollegiate competition through practices, video review, and other means. Attends all contests, accompanies the team on trips, and assumes responsibility for the management and conduct of the team on and off the field. Ensures the safety and health of student-athletes in coordination with Athletic Trainers.
- Supervises and directs coaching staff on all team matters. Ensures that all department, college, league, and NCAA rules and regulations are understood and followed by student-athletes and coaching staff. Attends coaches’ meetings and other events as required.
- Works with the department’s Business Manager on all items related to the program’s budget, including team travel, equipment and gear, recruiting, and other expenses.
- Supervises all races and/or meets on campus, including an annual Cross-Country Invitational, and the Liberty League Championship races when Bard hosts. Helps to mark the cross-country course and oversees student and staff workers for these events.
- Maintains the programs’ inventory, including uniforms and equipment. Monitors the condition of trails and paths on campus and works with Building and Grounds to ensure their upkeep. Assists department in revisions in areas of field and facility safety, program risk management, policy making, and staffing development.
- Assists department efforts in creating and maintaining recreational activities to involve students outside of the varsity teams. These could include: recreational races, a run club, assisting with intramural programs in other sports, or other programs.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Experience as an athlete and/or coach is necessary.
- Must be able to maintain a flexible work schedule including evenings and weekends.
- Must be able to travel as needed for competition, recruiting, league meetings, and other events.
- Must have interest in creating and maintaining an environment in which students of all experience and ability levels and from diverse backgrounds are supported and encouraged.
For those who are benefits eligible, we invite you to visit Bard's benefits website to learn more about our employee benefit offerings.
Please submit a resume, cover letter and list of three professional references to Interfolio at: https://apply.interfolio.com/129959
In your cover letter, please include short statements on each of the following:
- What personal and professional experiences have prepared you for this position?
- What makes you different from the other candidates applying for this position?
- How would you create and maintain a team environment that demonstrates and upholds a commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion?
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion at Bard
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) at Bard seeks to materialize our commitment to plurality, dialogue, and rigorous study. We strive to create a learning environment that upholds the College’s mission to meaningfully include the voices, works, and ideas of communities and cultures historically marginalized in liberal arts and sciences education. DEI at Bard aims to work at the systemic as well as the interpersonal level to address the implicit and explicit ways racism, sexism, classism, ableism, homophobia, transphobia, and religious discrimination impact the learning process.