Plumbing ManagerEmployer Website: http://apply.interfolio.com/125664
The Buildings & Grounds Department at Bard College seeks a full-time, year-round Plumbing Manager. The primary duties of the Plumbing Manager include, but are not limited to, managing the repair and maintenance of all plumbing, heating, water & sewer treatment plants and the repair & replacement of domestic appliances. The Plumbing Manager will be responsible for establishing and administering maintenance schedules, annual budgets, and will assist in the identification and justification for necessary capital improvements. They will serve as a backup to the HVAC Manager. The Plumbing Manager performs responsibilities in accordance with all Bard College and Buildings & Grounds Department policies and procedures and reports to the Director of Buildings & Grounds.
Under the direction of the Director of Buildings & Grounds, the Plumbing Manager leads repair and maintenance efforts for all heating, plumbing, pumps & motors, as described below. They will manage and supervise the maintenance, repair, and project work of the plumbing and other trades staff as assigned. They will assign work requests submitted into the work order system by students, faculty and staff.
- Plumbing: Including but not limited to all maintenance, repairs and replacement domestic water lines and plumbing fixtures including tubs, toilets, urinals, and sinks.
- Heating: Including but not limited to all maintenance, repairs and replacement of all boilers, furnaces, water heaters, and holding tanks.
- Pumps & Motors: Including but not limited to all maintenance, repairs and replacement of all pumps, motors, and controls associated with the above services.
- Water & Sewer Mains: Including but not limited to all maintenance, repairs and replacement of in-house and underground lines.
- Chimneys: Including but not limited to all maintenance, repairs and replacement of all chimneys. Also, all cleaning and inspections of all insulation on piping.
- Water Treatment Plant: Provides supervision and works with the water treatment plant operator to maintain the water plant to board of health requirements. Orders necessary chemicals and equipment to run the plant. Supervises and oversees the swimming pool and the proper chemical balance and water temperature. Maintains eyewashes around chemical storage areas. Provides salt for water softeners at various buildings, and maintains the DI water systems. Lastly, sets up maintenance contracts and blanket orders with outside contractors to provide needed services.
- Sewer Treatment Plant: Provides supervision and works with the sewer plant operator to meet Department of Environmental Protection requirements and maintain necessary equipment at the plant. Oversees the numerous pumping stations throughout campus and monthly inspection of the numerous manholes on campus. Works with outside contractors for sewer pumping needs at the sewer plant weekly. Inspects numerous septic tanks and grease traps around campus. Lastly, sets up maintenance contracts and blanket orders with outside contractors to provide needed services.
- Develops, assigns maintenance, and manages preventative maintenance schedules utilizing the campus work order system and logs, to ensure that systems, including water treatment, is running smoothly and that building systems operate efficiently and in accordance to manufacture specifications.
- Oversees routine safety inspections on boilers, chillers, pumps, air handlers etc. in equipment rooms and other mechanical areas. Performs air quality assessments and properly addresses any issues caused by humidity or a lack of sufficient airflow.
- Maintains the inventory of all plumbing supplies including pipe, fittings, boiler equipment and tools. Ensures that inventories are secured, organized and maintained at optimal inventory levels to prevent delays in work. Prepares estimates of material, labor and equipment needs, submits purchase orders and procures goods as required.
- Is available on-call and promptly and professionally responds to all requests for emergency repair service, including after-hours service calls.
- Ensures adherence to all OSHA regulations and internal safety policies and procedures.
- Oversees repair or replacement of domestic appliances which include washers, dryers, refrigerators and dishwashers.
- Performs additional duties as assigned.
- To manage effectively in a College and Union environment, the successful candidate must take time to learn the policies and procedures and expectations outlined in the Bard College Employee Handbook and Collective Bargaining Agreement, specifically as they relate to conduct, training, record keeping, performance evaluation, and corrective action.
- The person in this position reviews and approves time off requests, time cards, prepares schedules for all assigned employees, and addresses any issues in an expedient way.
- The Plumbing Manager ensures that employees are properly trained before performing maintenance and repairs, organizes equipment training and instructs staff in the use of all required tools and equipment. Ensures use of vehicles, equipment, and tools are safely used and comply with OSHA and ANSI regulations.
- The Plumbing Manager works with architects, civil engineers, and designers on equipment and infrastructure capital projects, repairs, remodels and renovations, including the review of submittals and plans.
- The Plumbing Manager obtains the necessary permits, as needed.
- The Plumbing Manager assists other department managers for the harmonious and expeditious completion of specific assignments
- Must have a minimum of 5 years of Plumbing & Heating maintenance related experience as a Plumbing Manager, Facilities Manager, or other related field.
- Must have a strong and in-depth knowledge of heating systems including BMS controls. Strong mechanical and diagnostic skills are required.
- Should be experienced in managing projects in excess of $100,000 and possess the capability to oversee multiple jobs and projects simultaneously.
- Supervisory experience leading union trades workers and managing vendors is desirable.
- Must have excellent communication, interpersonal and comprehension skills with the ability to work with all levels of Management.
- Computer skills and experience with Microsoft Office programs including Excel and Word is highly desirable.
- High School graduate or the equivalent. A college degree or a Project Management certificate in a related field is desirable.
- Must have familiarity with and understanding of site building codes.
- Must possess a working knowledge of OSHA regulations and have the ability to interpret mechanical blueprints and specifications.
- Must have a valid NY State driver’s license.
- Must obtain NYS Mold Assessor certification and relevant licenses to purchase chemicals.
- Requires normal vision range, hearing, the ability to see color and the ability to distinguish letters, numbers and symbols.
- Requires frequent walking, climbing ladders and stairs.
- Requires lifting, transporting, pushing, pulling and maneuvering items weighing up to 25 pounds with or without assistance.
Please submit a resume, cover letter and list of three professional contact references to Interfolio at: http://apply.interfolio.com/125664
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.