Bard High School Early College Queens
Faculty in Biology (Full-time, Short-term)Employer Website: http://apply.interfolio.com/124783
About Bard Early Colleges (BECs)
Bard High School Early College (BHSEC) Queens is a partnership between Bard College and the New York City Department of Education (NYCDOE). BHSEC Queens, a national model in the field of public school reform, provides motivated students the opportunity to move in four years from the ninth grade through the first two years of college, the majority earning an associate of arts (A.A.) degree from Bard College as well as a high school diploma at no cost to families. The academic program emphasizes small class size and a commitment to teaching a diverse student body in a liberal arts environment. To learn more about our program please visit https://www.bard.edu/earlycollege/about/.
Queens is a particularly diverse borough with families hailing from around the world, and BHSEC Queens is a particularly diverse school within the borough. While the vast majority of our students have English as their first language, more than 25 different languages are listed as the home languages for the parents of our students. Like nearly all NYC public schools, 15% of our students are entitled to special education support and we are committed to fully integrating these supports into our classrooms.
Bard High School Early College Queens invites applications for a full-time, short term, leave replacement position in our Biology Department, which is for the Fall of 2023, pending funding. This position is a full-time temporary one for the Fall 2023 semester (September-January). Our science faculty typically teach three sections of laboratory courses each semester, which include courses in our innovative high school program as well as courses in our college program.
In addition to a strong interest in teaching the introductory course for our high school students, there would be some preference for the leave replacement to have expertise in Cell Biology. All BHSEC Queens faculty also participate actively in the life of the school, advising students, serving on committees, or sponsoring extracurricular activities.
Number of expected hires: 1
Location: Bard High School Early College (BHSEC) Queens, 30-20 Thomson Ave., Long Island City, Queens, NY
Start Date: September 2023
Duration: This position is a full-time temporary one for the Fall 2023 semester (September-January).
Compensation: The compensation for teaching these classes is based on the NYC DOE salary scale for substitute teachers. The position will be funded by Bard College.
- The ideal candidate will be a skilled educator with a demonstrated interest in engaging and challenging younger students with diverse racial backgrounds, economic backgrounds, and a variety of approaches to learning and/or needs for learning supports
- The ideal candidate will have an interest in working with high school age students who are completing a college-level course of study
- The ideal candidate will demonstrate a continued interest in the ongoing work in their field
- The ideal candidate will understand cultural difference and purposefully help to uplift ideas from underrepresented groups to improve the equity balance in education
- Preference will be given to those candidates who have earned a Ph.D. in their field and have both college and high school teaching experience
Please apply directly with Bard College / Bard Early Colleges by clicking on the “Apply Now” button found through the Interfolio application link provided here: http://apply.interfolio.com/124783
Use the Interfolio link provided to upload the following documents directly with Bard College:
- Letter of interest (including research interests)
- C.V. / Resume
- A brief (c. 250 word) description of an experience you had as a student or teacher that has influenced your teaching
- Contact information for three professional references
Questions: Please direct inquiries regarding this position to Principal Laura Hymson at [email protected]