Bard College at Simon's Rock
Dean of StudentsEmployer Website: http://apply.interfolio.com/122743
Founded in 1860, Bard College is an international network of highly innovative and admired educational institutions grounded in the liberal arts and sciences. A division of Bard
located in Great Barrington, Massachusetts, Bard College at Simon’s Rock is the only four-year college in the U.S. specifically designed for motivated adolescents to fully realize their academic potential by beginning college immediately after the 10th or 11th grade. BA and AA degrees are granted in over 35 areas of study. Simon’s Rock attracts a diverse student population of approximately 400 students, drawn nationally and internationally, with a significant population of students identifying as LGBTQIA+. For over 50 years, Simon’s Rock has practiced the simple yet radical idea that many students are ready for college before the age of 18, an idea that launched the Early College movement in the United States and beyond. In 2015, Simon’s Rock launched Bard Academy, a two-year high school program for boarding and day students, with courses designed and taught by college professors and leading to entry into college after the tenth grade. In doing so, Simon’s Rock has connected high school and college in one cohesive, coherent six-year arc. In 2019, Simon’s Rock established the Early College Research Institute (ECRI), a locus for research into “what’s next” in Early College. In 2023, Simon’s Rock launched the Bard Queer Leadership Project, a B.A.
degree program designed for, and by, LGBTQIA+ college students, aiming to elevate LGBTQIA+ college graduates into leadership roles in fields across the workforce.
At Bard Academy and Bard College at Simon’s Rock, we seek a dynamic and student focused Dean of Students to provide leadership on the strategic priorities and daily operations of
Campus Life and to collaborate with Academic Affairs to develop strategies for promoting holistic student engagement and learning. The Dean will possess a commitment to the academic, emotional, and social development of all students, and will be a visible, engaged, and active member in the campus community. The Dean of Students is a key member of the Provost’s senior leadership team, which works collaboratively across departments to serve and strengthen all aspects of the Simon’s Rock community. The Dean of Students’ vision will contribute to strategic decision-making across our community. The Dean of Students reports to the Vice Provost.
- The Dean of Students will supervise a talented, collaborative, and experienced team of professionals including the Director of Residence Life and Housing, the Director of Campus Activities, Student Success Advisors, the Director of Campus Safety and Emergency Planning, and the Director of the Wellness Center.
- The Dean will lead the creation, analysis, review, and interpretation of student policies and procedures, as detailed in the Student Handbook.
- The Dean of Students will promote, support, and strengthen the institution’s diversity and inclusion efforts in coordination with the Dean of Equity and Inclusion and will provide direction and intervention for students in crisis and non-crisis. This will include coordinating with the Wellness Center staff, the Title IX Coordinator, and off-campus resources.
- The Dean will assist with compliance of the Clery Act, Title IX, VAWA, Campus Safe and all college, state, and federal reporting as required that pertain to student conduct matters, along with the Director of Campus Safety and the Title IX Coordinator.
- The Dean will oversee the continued development of First Year Experience Course and will teach a section of the course each semester.
- The Dean will chair the Student Support Meeting and manage the Campus Life response to a major crisis and other events impacting students on campus.
- The Dean will work to enhance the student life experience with innovative programs, services, and activities.
- The Dean will communicate effectively with students, parents/guardians, and other campus partners and oversee the student conduct process and maintain records utilizing our student conduct software, Maxient.
- The Dean serves on an on-call rotation with other Campus Life employees in order to respond to and assist with incidents and emergencies as they arise.
- The Dean will review the current organizational structure, staff functions, and staffing levels for efficiency and effectiveness and will recruit, hire, and train staff as needed.
- The Dean manages the budgets for Campus Life and the Residence Halls.
- Master’s degree in student affairs, higher education, or a related field, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- A minimum of five (5) years of professional work, with increasing responsibility and progressive leadership experience, in the field of student affairs.
- Knowledge of current trends in student affairs management.
- A successful history of supervising and mentoring staff, enhancing student life on a residential campus, and working effectively across a campus community.
- Strong organizational, presentation, and interpersonal communication skills.
This is a full-time position with benefits. Employment is contingent upon successful completion of a background check.
Please upload a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three professional references to Interfolio at: http://apply.interfolio.com/122743
No phone calls, please. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.