Bard Early College Network
Assistant Director of Development (Bard Early Colleges, NY)Employer Website: http://apply.interfolio.com/134640
The Assistant Director of Development is a full-time, exempt position of Bard Early College. The successful candidate will excel at working in a community that is broadly diverse with regard to race, ethnicity, socioeconomic status, gender, nationality, sexual orientation and religion.
The Assistant Director of Development is charged with increasing philanthropic support for the BEC Schools and strengthening their visibility. This opportunity comes at a critical and exciting time for Bard Early College: the organization is in its 20th year, celebrating the successful launch of new schools and initiatives, and helping to lead a national conversation on rethinking college access in the public sphere. The Assistant Director of Development will report to the Deputy Director of Bard Early College and will supervise the Donor Relations Manager.
About the Bard Early Colleges:
The Bard Early Colleges (BEC) are founded on the belief that, for many young people, college can and should start at an earlier age. Bard Early College’s simple idea - to begin serious college study in place of the traditional 11th and 12th grades, at no cost to students or families - has had an extraordinary impact on young people and on education innovation and equity in America.
The Bard Early Colleges offer a truly unique home for young people’s intellectual ambition: as both tuition-free, branch campuses of Bard College and public high schools, they award a high school diploma and a Bard College Associate in Arts degree (and 60 transferable credits) by the end of the 12th grade. Students are taught by college faculty in undergraduate, seminar classes, all deeply rooted in the liberal arts and sciences, in Bard College’s commitment to excellence in teaching, and in Bard’s mission as a private college in the public interest.
Now entering its third decade, the Bard Early College network enrolls over 3,000 young people in campuses in NYC; Newark, New Jersey; New Orleans, Louisiana; Cleveland, Ohio; Baltimore, Maryland; Washington, D.C.; and Hudson, New York. Over 80% have completed bachelors degrees after graduating from the Bard Early College - far above the national average - and more than half are first-generation college students.
Those nine campuses are supported by a central leadership team, which is a division of Bard College. Bard invites applications for a creative, proactive, and mission-driven individual who will join that team as Assistant Director of Development.
Roles & Responsibilities:
Fundraising Strategy and Execution
- In coordination with the BEC network team, develop a proactive and achievable fundraising plan that includes clear goals, benchmarks, and indicators for success.
- Develop and implement acquisition, cultivation and solicitation plans.
- Maintain a portfolio of major donors.
- Maintain detailed records and tracking of stewardship and reporting activities. Maintain a detailed donor database with prospective, current and past donors.
- Make direct, face-to-face solicitations, and assist other staff with their solicitation (eg. provide portfolio development support, strategic counsel, and help with donor communications).
- Acknowledge donors through public and private recognition.
- Collaborate with Alumni/ae engagement coordinator to grow alumni giving and develop a long term fundraising strategy.
- Analyze and organize alumni demographics to plan targeted campaigns and events.
- Plan, execute, and manage virtual and in-person events with current and prospective funders.
- To build relationships across the community of BEC supporters leading to greater philanthropic support. At the end of one year, the successful candidate will have increased the number of major gifts and the total amount of financial support from individual donors.
- Collaborate with the Donor Relations Manager and the Communications and Program Manager to craft materials to engage current and prospective funders, specifically major donors, including newsletters, campaigns and social media presence.
- Provide leadership and mentorship to supervising staff and ensure staff have the skills, tools, support, input, and feedback they need.
Compensation: While salary will be commensurate with experience, the expected range is between $90,000 and $110,000.
Location: New York City, NY
Expected start Date: October or November 2023
We are pleased to offer our full-time employees an excellent benefit package which includes; multiple heath insurance options; TIAA retirement plans; generous vacation, sick, and personal time; and more. To learn more about employee benefits and eligibility at Bard College, please visit https://www.bard.edu/humanresources/benefits/.
The Assistant Director of Development should be, above all, passionate about improving public education for young people and committed to educational opportunity, equity, and excellence. Successful candidates will be able to express themselves with clarity, tact, and conviction and will be comfortable in soliciting donations and support.
The successful candidate for the position will possess the following qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree with 7 years of demonstrated success in fundraising
- Excellent writing and communication skills
- Responsive and reliable, with strong project management and time management skills
- Demonstrated ability to work successfully in multi-faceted, team-oriented environment, as well as the ability to work independently
- Experience cultivating successful relationships with donors
- Close attention to detail and accuracy
- Working familiarity with basic data management tools and other digital tools, primarily including Microsoft Excel and Google Suite.
- Must be able to sit for extended periods of time and work in standard office environment
- Must be able to occasionally lift 20 pounds
- Occasional travel (estimated once per month) to Annandale-on-Hudson, NY and to other BEC sites
Please upload a résumé that highlights your skills, what you’ve learned, and what you care about, through the Interfolio job application link provided here: http://apply.interfolio.com/134640
For questions about the position, please send your inquiries to [email protected]