Media Relations CoordinatorEmployer Website: http://apply.interfolio.com/112477
Bard College seeks an exceptional storyteller and strategic thinker to join the Office of Communications as our Media Relations Coordinator.
The ideal candidate is a highly collaborative, organized professional with great instincts who knows how to tell stories that make an impact.
The Media Relations Coordinator reports to the Associate Vice President of Communications and works closely with the communications team to develop and pitch student, faculty, and institutional stories to the media and coordinate responses to press queries with the goal of elevating the College’s visibility in local, regional, and national media. The coordinator will also play an important role in leveraging news across the College’s digital platforms.
- Work closely with students, faculty, and staff to develop story ideas and write compelling press releases and pitch letters on a wide range of topics
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with local and regional press contacts
- Respond to press inquiries
- Coordinate press interviews and campus visits
- Research media outlets and maintain contact database
- Generate and manage photography and other supporting materials for media stories
- Maintain College event and press release calendars with the communications team
- Coordinate with communications staff in Bard programs on and off campus to generate story ideas
- Bachelor's degree required, preferably in journalism, English, communications, or related field
- Expert writer accustomed to writing for a variety of media and audiences in a deadline-driven environment
- Experience in feature writing, reporting, and/or copywriting, preferably in a journalism or public relations role
- Understanding of journalistic style and practice and ability to work effectively with writers and editors in a range of media outlets
- Ability to work with a diverse community to turn complex source materials into compelling media-ready stories
- Ability to write effectively on a wide range of topics including higher education, fine and performing arts, music, and science
- Experience with interviews and event reportage
- Experience in higher education a plus
- Knowledge of the digital landscape and ability to think creatively and strategically about leveraging stories across multiple platforms
- Compelling and effective communicator
- Ability to think long-term and big picture while also being responsive to emergent news and changing priorities
- Highly organized with a proven ability to handle multiple projects and deadlines while maintaining a high level of attention to detail
- Team oriented and flexible with excellent interpersonal skills
- Interested in, and able to speak to, a diverse, intelligent, independent-minded, and creative audience
- Humility, sense of humor, and ability to maintain equilibrium in a busy office
Please submit a cover letter, resume and three professional contact references (including phone number and resume) to Interfolio at: http://apply.interfolio.com/112477
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Bard College is an equal opportunity employer and we welcome applications from those who contribute to our diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, mental, or physical disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, familial status, veteran status, or genetic information.
Bard is committed to providing access, equal opportunity, and reasonable accommodation for all individuals in employment practices, services, programs, and activities.