Bard Early College Network
Principal (Bard High School Early College, New York City, NY)Employer Website: https://apply.interfolio.com/131154Â
Bard invites applications from dynamic individuals to join our administrative team as the Principal of the Bard High School Early College (BHSEC) in New York City. This position will start in the summer of 2024.
About the Bard Early Colleges
The Bard Early Colleges (BEC) are founded on the belief that, for many young people, college can and should start at an earlier age. Bard Early College’s simple idea - to begin serious college study in place of the traditional 11th and 12th grades, at no cost to students or families - has had an extraordinary impact on young people and on education innovation and equity in America. The Bard Early Colleges offer a truly unique home for young people’s intellectual ambition: as both tuition-free, branch campuses of Bard College and public high schools, they award a high school diploma and a Bard College Associate in Arts degree (and 60 transferable credits) by the end of the 12th grade. Students are taught by college faculty in undergraduate seminar classes, all deeply rooted in the liberal arts and sciences, in Bard College’s commitment to excellence in teaching and in Bard’s mission as a private college in the public interest.
Now entering its third decade, the Bard Early College network enrolls over 3,000 young people in campuses in the Bronx, Queens, Manhattan, and Hudson, New York; Newark, New Jersey; New Orleans, Louisiana; Cleveland, Ohio; Baltimore, Maryland; and Washington, D.C.
Position Objective and Duties
The Principal is the early college’s academic and administrative leader. The Principal reports to the school system partner and to Bard College, specifically through the Dean of the Early Colleges. The Principal collaborates regularly with other BHSEC leadership teams. The Principal is responsible for:
- Ensuring that the school meets Bard’s high standards of undergraduate academic rigor and student achievement
- Facilitating smooth and effective collaboration with the school system partner and Bard regarding all aspects of school management
- Leading the faculty in designing and delivering an academic program of genuine collegiate quality and ensuring the implementation of Bard’s Early College pedagogy across the curriculum, including Bard’s Writing and Thinking Practices
- Upholding and enriching the tenets of diversity, equity, and inclusion of BHSEC’s school culture and community and fostering a campus culture of intellectual engagement, individual responsibility and creativity
- Leading the school staff
Location: New York, NY
Start Date: July or August 2024
We are pleased to offer our full-time employees an excellent benefit package which includes; multiple heath insurance options; TIAA retirement plans; generous vacation, sick, and personal time; and more. To learn more about employee benefits and eligibility at Bard College, please visit https://www.bard.edu/humanresources/benefits/.
The Principal must lead a campus that is both a public high school as well as a degree-granting undergraduate branch campus of Bard College. As such, the Principal’s professional and academic experience should span both secondary and postsecondary teaching and administration, and, where relevant, scholarship. The successful candidate will excel at working in a community that is broadly diverse with regard to race, ethnicity, socioeconomic status, gender, nationality, sexual orientation and religion.
The successful candidate for the position will possess the following characteristics and qualifications:
- PhD in a liberal arts and sciences discipline (corresponding to the fields available for study within the Bard College curriculum)
- Scholarship and engagement in that field of study since attainment of doctoral degree
- Relevant teaching experience, preferably with both college and high school-aged students
- Relevant leadership experience
- Very strong organizational and management skills
- Very strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Experience in and commitment to working with adolescents
- Administrator certification required
- Additionally, candidates will be subject to necessary qualifications and review in accordance with the New York City Department of Education's principal selection process. More information available here.
Upload the following documents to Interfolio at https://apply.interfolio.com/131154
- Letter of interest
- Contact information for three professional references