Bard College at Simon's Rock
Campus Safety OfficerBard College at Simon's Rock is the only four-year college in the United States specifically designed to allow highly motivated adolescents to fully realize their intellectual and creative potential by beginning college immediately after the 10th or 11th grade. For over 50 years, Simon's Rock has occupied a unique space in the educational landscape, practicing the simple yet radical idea that many students are ready for college before the age of 18.
We seek community-minded, team-oriented people, who have experience working with diverse communities and colleagues, to help develop and foster a joyful, inclusive, and welcoming campus climate that allows young students to flourish. Applicants must be self-motivated, enthusiastic, organized, and demonstrate good judgment.
The Campus Safety Officer’s primary responsibility is the safety of students, employees, and visitors to campus, as well as College facilities and resources. Duties include regular foot and vehicle patrols of campus; dispatch, documentation, and office management; and emergency coordination and response. Additionally the Campus Safety Officer will:
- Document incidents and maintain daily activity reports.
- Support the efforts of the Office of Campus Life in addressing issues of student conduct.
- Oversee afterhours building and facilities access.
- Conduct foot and vehicle patrols of campus; check for unsafe conditions, hazards, unlocked doors, blocked entrances, and exits and other code violations, facilities problems such as leaking pipes, and unauthorized persons.
- Possess effective written and oral communication.
- Effectively and professionally support the mission and initiatives of a diverse college community.
- Respond to general and emergent community needs and work closely with a team to address them appropriately.
- Help communicate with local police, fire, and medical services as needed.
- Help protect evidence at the scene of incident, accident, or emergency, or security.
- Provide escorts and transportation services to students as needed.
- Promote and sustain a respect for the school's property; maintain a cooperative working relationship with Housekeeping and Physical Plant staff
- Provide traffic and crowd support for special campus events and College sponsored activities.
- The department is a seven (7) day per week, twenty-four (24) hour per day operation. Work schedules may include nights, weekends, afternoons, holidays and occasional unanticipated overtime.
- The physical and mental requirements of this job include the following: seeing, hearing, speaking, and writing clearly; occasional reaching with hands and arms, stooping, kneeling, crouching and crawling; frequent sitting, standing and walking, which may be required for long periods of time; climbing stairs and walking up inclines and on uneven terrain. Additional physical requirements may include, frequent lifting and/or moving up to 10 pounds and occasional lifting and/or moving up to 30 pounds.
Preferred; an Associates Degree or equivalent number of college credits and prior student services experience and/or working with students. The candidate must have a strong commitment to the support of a diverse and welcoming educational community. Employment is contingent upon successful completion of a background check. The candidate must have a valid driver’s license and basic computer skills with a working knowledge of Microsoft Word.
Interested individuals can send a letter of interest and resumé to Ken Geremia, Director of Safety and Emergency Planning at email@example.com or by U.S. mail to Ken Geremia, Bard College at Simon's Rock College, 84 Alford Road, Great Barrington, MA 01230.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Bard College at Simon’s Rock is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to hiring a diverse workforce. Bard College at Simon’s Rock will provide qualified people with reasonable accommodations pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act and/or any other applicable state or local laws